Return of the limpet mine attack

covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com
Two Libyan Islamist/Jihadist armed trawlers used for supply runs sunk at Misrata on 31st March with limpet mines.

First time in a long time. The last 'proper' limpet mine attacks that I can think of were in 1980s by South African Recces (4RR). The SEALs also did a Panamanian SWIFT patrol boat in 189 with pack charges. And there were Croatian mini-torpedoes in the early 1990s. Any others more recent? So maybe the first in 20-30 years depending on what you count.

English language source http://www.hisutton.com/Newsflash%20-two%20ships%20of%20the%20Shura%20Council%20of%20Benghazi%20Revolutionaries%20blown%20up%20in%20Misrata.html
hPi3coA.jpg

J7YPVeZ.jpg

1fajXXz.jpg

The unexploded IED found looks like a deception to me.
90TDSt8.jpg

Another was the attack by French swimmers against the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour in 1985. One innocent dead because of it, a photographer onboard the Warrior.

Wouldn't a naval SOF diver deploy their limpet on the centre of the ship's keel so as to break its back rather than just punch a hole in the side. This boat can be easily salvaged and returned to use. This boat could have been sunk with an air launched ATGM aimed at the waterline. Such a line of fireto hole it in he aft port quarter could have come from the bush south of the port.

That would depend on a lot of factors. Normal limpet mines aren't big enough to break a keel but large ones used by some navies can. However, the viability of that relies on the depth of water under the boat etc.

In general limpet mines are placed to buggar the engines and shaft for a mobility kill. Sometimes they attach directly to the shaft. But this is such a small boat my guess is they targeted the engine room. Very minimalist really.

Twitter traffic suggests that at least one of these boats has been refloated and/or dragged out of the water. Unclear to me as seems a but soon regardless of the weapons used.