Attachments

• 1-1965.png
    1-1965.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 164
Found in May 1965 issue of Air Force Magazine, Vol. 48 article

Hypersonic Aircraft:
Possible and Practical
By J. S. Butz, Jr.

The Mach 12 experimental aircraft would make use of many proven X-15 techniques. It would be approximately the same size as the X-15, fifty feet long with twenty-two-foot span and 50,000-pound gross weight, and would be air-launched. Either a B-52 or a B-70 could serve as the mother aircraft. If the B-52 is used it will be necessary to provide the hypersonic aircraft with a controllable hydrogen-oxygen rocket and jettisonable oxygen tanks to accelerate to Mach 3.
After Mach speed is attained it will be possible to start the hydrogen-fueled supersonic-combustion ram-jet. This engine extends the entire length of the aircraft. The long forward section of the fuselage doubles as the fixed-geometry engine air inlet. The shock wave pattern off of the forward fuselage slows the air entering the burner down to supersonic speeds.
A small cowl located at the point of maximum fuselage thickness encloses the burner area. The sloping aft fuselage section is the fixed-geometry nozzle.
This design is a slightly modified form of the ideal fixed-geometry configuration for a hypersonic air-breathing engine. Ideally, the fuselage would be circular and the engine would extend around its complete circumference. However, to carry the experimental aircraft under another airplane it will be necessary to flatten its upper portion and limit the engine to its lower sections."​

I wonder if it's related to the "Manned Hypersonic Flight Test Vehicle" as shown in the AFMC "NAA B-70 VALKYRIE VARIANTS" pdf ?
I didn't find mention of it before here (or an especially pertinent thread to add to), but if I've missed please move to relevant thread

research airplane 1.jpg
research airplane 2.png

Not so 'generic'. Proposed Republic Aerospaceplane demonstrator.
Ah! Surely that's the one in the B-70 Landis pdf - I can't seem to find a swept T-tail variant like this one without the verticals in the wings but the article does mention the flattening of the upper fuselage.

Well... it's one of the competing designs for the "Manned Hypersonic Test Vehicle" program, which included North American and McDonnell. It used the same *shape* as one of the Republic/Kartvelli ASP concepts, but some years after ASP had died. Republic kept recycling the basic shape for a number of years; it appeared in somewhat modified form in the NAPS days. The NAA MHTV was discussed here:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/naa-mhtv-3-manned-hypersonic-test-vehicle-x-15d.4763/

I stand corrected. And yes - this is actually post-Aerospaceplane (ca.1965) demostrator _based_ on Aerospaceplane design, for a Mach 12 Recon vehicle.

Attachments

• p16694coll109_6213_extralarge (1).jpg
    p16694coll109_6213_extralarge (1).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 249

Well... it's one of the competing designs for the "Manned Hypersonic Test Vehicle" program, which included North American and McDonnell. It used the same *shape* as one of the Republic/Kartvelli ASP concepts, but some years after ASP had died. Republic kept recycling the basic shape for a number of years; it appeared in somewhat modified form in the NAPS days. The NAA MHTV was discussed here:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/naa-mhtv-3-manned-hypersonic-test-vehicle-x-15d.4763/
Thank you!

I run into:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

when I follow the link though

Thank you!

I run into:

I believe the official response to issues like that is "HA! Neener neener!" Seems that thread got yeeted into a "senior members only" discussion as someone was discussing ITAR/gettin' canned. Unfortunately, the guy who had all the good info in that thread... I *think* he died just a few years later, if he's who I think he was.

Thank you!

I run into:

Same here.

Didn't Spitfires delivered beer kegs to soldiers in Normandy after D-day ? attached to the drop tank pylons ? Red that in an old Bill Guston book...

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg