Aircraft - Real or fake?

"
Fake aircraft;

"

That speculative sketch just illustrates how much airplane you need to transport a 30 ton T-34 tank.

Eventually the USSR developed ASU and BMD series very lightweight armoured fighting vehicles for their paratroop forces. They are thinly armoured and cramped. BMD can only carry half as many (3 or 4) infantrymen as other full-sized Soviet APCs.

They also had to develop a complex parachute system, with braking rockets to slow landing speed to 6.5 metres per second.

Last edited:
Definitely the same. https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/bristol-siddeley-flying-pig-v-stol-1960.1525/#post-236392
flying_pig_early_a4-png.511267

Last edited:
"Flying Pig" I think the marketing guys were on vacations that day

Internal I think they didn't really think it would 'catch-on' anyway but IIRC it was also called an "Aerodyne" but that didn't get much traction either.

I suspect that the name was part in-joke since it wouldn't really be all that useful but it was essentially just a 'brute-force' lift and move using a jet-engine rather than helo blades. Mostly the same issues as with the actual "Aerodyne" (https://disciplesofflight.com/bizarre-aircraft-lippisch-aerodyne/) that tried using a ducted fan.

Randy

From Aeroplane Monthly 7/1992,

I think this was April Fool one,from Czech.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 171
So, is this research for real (which might explain some UFO sightings)?

A scam?

A PsyOp to mess with the Russians and Chinese?

Something else?

Emails Show Navy's 'UFO' Patents Went Through Significant Internal Review, Resulted In A Demo

"While the Navy's exotic energy production patents remain as mysterious as ever, these emails add to the backstory surrounding the inventions of Salvatore Pais and suggest that the patents went through a more rigorous internal evaluation process than was previously known. The emails also seem to indicate that the research program that emanated from the patents did in fact result in an experimental demonstration of some sort."

See:

It’s always looked like some kind of disinformation campaign to me.

Attachments

• xlg_space_cops_3.jpg
    xlg_space_cops_3.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 143

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
From Aero Digest 1956,

what that Bell concept real or just a generic ?.

Attachments

• 80.png
    80.png
    722 KB · Views: 84
From Aero Digest 1956,

what that Bell concept real or just a generic ?.

Bottom left looks like it's loosely inspired by the X-9 or GAM-63 with different fins and somewhat scaled down. So maybe an early cut at the same requirement?

The one on the right looks like a tweaked version of the von Braun ferry rocket.

One advantage there is that the tiles abut one another and are protected from ascent airflow. Perhaps a wing-section could fit in between as well.

This may warrant another look.
That is rather different, I see it has a Smithsonian credit but I'm curious as to its original source

I could see SuperHeavy launching that in lieu of Starship for some missions....Save Starship for Mars.

Internal I think they didn't really think it would 'catch-on' anyway but IIRC it was also called an "Aerodyne" but that didn't get much traction either.

I suspect that the name was part in-joke since it wouldn't really be all that useful but it was essentially just a 'brute-force' lift and move using a jet-engine rather than helo blades. Mostly the same issues as with the actual "Aerodyne" (https://disciplesofflight.com/bizarre-aircraft-lippisch-aerodyne/) that tried using a ducted fan.

Randy
So that's where Cyberpunk got the idea... (Many of the CP2013 and 2020 helicopter-replacements are basically a van with a Pegasus turbine strapped to it)

So that's where Cyberpunk got the idea... (Many of the CP2013 and 2020 helicopter-replacements are basically a van with a Pegasus turbine strapped to it)

Yep they state in the books that the A7 is a van with a Harrier engine :) But I always wondered how they fit people AND an engine all in there :)

Randy

Yep they state in the books that the A7 is a van with a Harrier engine :) But I always wondered how they fit people AND an engine all in there :)

Randy
AV4 and AV6, the van body is on top of the harrier engine like those Japanese mid engine minivans. AV9, engine is on top of the van body more like a Blackhawk.

Back
Top Bottom