• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Re: AAH Competition (AH-64 rivals)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1972 US Army AAH Program : Competition for the Advanced Attack Helicopter was between the Hughes Model 77 (YAH-64) and the Bell 409 (YAH-63).

Other contenders were the Boeing Vertol AAH and the Lockheed CL-1700, a Cheyenne derivative. The Hughes Model 77 was selected and designated the AH-64 Apache.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
overscan said:
1972 US Army AAH Program : Competition for the Advanced Attack Helicopter was between the Hughes Model 77 (YAH-64) and the Bell 409 (YAH-63).

Other contenders were the Boeing Vertol AAH and the Lockheed CL-1700, a Cheyenne derivative. The Hughes Model 77 was selected and designated the AH-64 Apache.
It's too bad they didn't use an improved Cheyenne itself as that CL-1700's ugliness is exceeded only by Boeing's entry. I wonder how a Cheyenne with Apache's avionics and sensors would do.

elmayerle

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with the competition, but some time back I worked with some folks who helped design the AH-64 and I learned something amusing. Those little masts with flat tops on both engine nacelles? Those are supports for the nacelle structure when it's open for maintenance work; the flat spots are the same adjustable feet you find on desks, chairs, etc. mounted on a faired strut. It lets the open nacelle be used as a maintenance shelf.

Skybolt

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Don't know what you all think, but in my opinion the US Army today in the war it fights today would make a better use of the Cheyenne (or some derivative, e.g. two engines and more armor) than of what it can do with the AH-64, which was targeted to a completely different scenario (anti-tank ambush, popping up from behind the trees, shot a Hellfire and run the faster you can before the Soviet could trow everything they have at you).

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Topic was split up into separate topics for each contender:
  • Hughes Model 77 (YAH-64A) here.
  • Bell Model 409 (YAH-63A) here.
  • Boeing Vertol BV-235 here.
  • Lockheed CL-1700 here.
  • Sikorsky S-71 here.
Please use this here topic only as a starting point or to share information and documents pertaining to the whole AAH program.
Please use the separate topics for additions about one particular design.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Just as a side note gents if I can, as I've already mentioned I've just finished reading Modern Battlefield Warplanes by David Donald. In it under the AH-64 Apache entry, it makes mention that:
"Hughes Helicopters responded to the AAH competition with a design based on it's egg-shaped OH-6......... However Hughes's designers respected its [the OH-6's] structural integrity enough to use it as their starting point.
All OH-6 developments soon turned out to be too small to make an effective AAH, so Hughes engineers ultimately produced the Model 77 [YAH-64]"

So does anyone have any pics / drawings of these OH-6 AAH derivatives????
I would be greatly interested!

Regards
Pioneer