• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Rb 08 anti-ship missile

Dilandu

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
This rather obscure Sweden weapon system, actually, quite interesting:

It is the first Western shipborne anti-ship missile ever commissioned, and the only one Western SSM close to Soviet cotemporary analogues (like P-15 "Termit"). Interesting to note, that it seems to be essentially an off-the-shelf design - Rb-04 air-launched anti-ship missile radar head, mated with the (enlarged) body & autopilot of CT 20 turbojet-powered flying target, produced by Nord Aviation (if I understood the sources correctly).

It was used from both the ships ("Halland"-class destroyers), where it was launched from the rails fitted above the trainable torpedo launcher, and from coastal batteries, where it was launched from zero-lenght mobile ramp. The missile was firstly commissioned in 1966, and stayed in service up to 1995. About 80 missiles were build.

Missile Data (according to the http://www.robotmuseum.se )

It is mentioned, that follow-up Rb-08B missile was planned, but I was unable to find any more details.

P.S. What puzzled me a bit, that it seems to be no or little foreign interest in what essentially was the only shipborne anti-ship missile available for any Western nation from mid-1960s to early 1970s. After "Eilat" sinking in 1967, there were a lot of interest in anti-ship missiles - but Swedish ones seems to not be noticed.

Hood

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Swedish arms exports were limited by neutrality considerations so that put the major Western navies out of the potential buyers market, but its surprising the Rb-08 didn't influence more copycat designs in Europe.

Dilandu

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
Swedish arms exports were limited by neutrality considerations so that put the major Western navies out of the potential buyers market,
Well, this still left other navies - like Pakistan Navy, for example (they tried to buy Soviet P-15 missiles to counter Indian purshase - the Sweden might be vuable alternative)

but its surprising the Rb-08 didn't influence more copycat designs in Europe.
Agreed. Frankly, I found it... puzzling that USN did not push for the AQM-34 based ASM in early 1960s.