Boeing/Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche

I was somewhat involved in the Comanche program, mostly in LO analysis. Early on, the Army dictated that it use a conventional configuration (this is about when the tilt rotor concept began to be taken very seriously). There were a lot of other configuration issues bruited about, which I don't feel particularly comfortable discussing because a) they were about 40 years ago and b) I don't know what may still be classified or proprietary.

Other than being a much more attractive aircraft than the AH-64, a helicopter than was not only hit by an ugly stick but beaten severely, the RAH-64 was probably, overall, more capable in most things other than raw weapons load.

I spent a lot of time working with the RAH-66. Much of it with simulation work. The cockpit and MEP was by far the most advanced for a rotorcraft. While I did not fly the Comanche I knew many of the Army aviators who did work the actual aircraft. It was a good flying bird, even with it being very overweight.

The Army did make the right decision to cancel the program. The funding from Comanche will now allow for ~300 ARH(Bell 407), ~300 LUH(BK 117), 40 JCA(C-27J), new CH-47F, new UH-60M, new ASE and other kit. While the money does not buy all of the airframes I mention, you can get an idea of how much money was tied into one program.

Before I get on a dissertation of the impact of Comanche on the US rotorcraft technology sector, I think buried somewhere on my hard drive at work, I have a three view of the EMD/LRIP aircraft configuration. If memory serves me, the most outstanding visible differences had to do with the canopy layout and the addition of increased air inlet size (immediately below the engine inlet) to provide more ambient air to the IR suppression.

Edit: found the three view for EMD/LRIP. Hope this is what you are looking for...

I just picked up a helicopter sim yesterday from an auction. It's a Comanche Portable Cockpit....it might be the one you worked on several years back. It was in Huntsville, AL. View attachment 675021
That's awesome! What plans do you have for the portable sim. I see that it was used by the University of Alabama's RSESC program.

I was somewhat involved in the Comanche program, mostly in LO analysis. Early on, the Army dictated that it use a conventional configuration (this is about when the tilt rotor concept began to be taken very seriously). There were a lot of other configuration issues bruited about, which I don't feel particularly comfortable discussing because a) they were about 40 years ago and b) I don't know what may still be classified or proprietary.

Other than being a much more attractive aircraft than the AH-64, a helicopter than was not only hit by an ugly stick but beaten severely, the RAH-64 was probably, overall, more capable in most things other than raw weapons load.
The RAH-66 was the best fit for the Australian ARH requirement won by the tiger but wasn't really an option due to the time scales involved. RAH would have been good and likely the best option today had it not been cancelled.

And the winner is ... I worked in GIAT at this time when they studied the gunnery for Comanche. The team was very disapointed when the program was scrapped. But all the work was not entirely lost ...

800px-Australian_Army_Tiger_ARH_Helicopter_%28IMG7146%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom