• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Rafale gets another one in the bag

Lascaris

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The Greek prime minister just publicly announced the agreement for the HAF to procure 18 Rafales and that some of the older un-modernized Mirage 2000s will be returned back to France as part of the deal. Rumours of the deal abounded for the past few weeks but now it's official... :D

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Woaw. I am flabbergasted. I guess it was a deal no-one can sideline.

Great that France got some 2K back

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I checked status of the Greek Mirage fleet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Air_Force

Of the 40 Mirage sold in 1985-88, seems 16 remained at 1980's level and 24 were modernized to 2000's tech level. I bet you, they will keep the modernized ones, and dump the antiquated, unmodernized ones to us (sigh).

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Archibald : they kept the old ones for the Exocet. The 2000-5 can't fire them. Either that's the part the Greek industry will play, being allowed to fit them on the 2K-5, or the 18 Rafale can be seen as taking over the maritime strike role from the 16 old Mirages.

Lascaris

Reaction score
I checked status of the Greek Mirage fleet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Air_Force

Of the 40 Mirage sold in 1985-88, seems 16 remained at 1980's level and 24 were modernized to 2000's tech level. I bet you, they will keep the modernized ones, and dump the antiquated, unmodernized ones to us (sigh).
Well we need the modernised ones. :p What I've seen written is Dassault intends the old ones for resale or agressors. it would be fun to see them with Draken international...

But see the positives, Rafale just got its first European export. Now if people were more logical the Greeks would had joined the program around 1986 or in 1999 Dassault would be offering Rafale instead of Mirage 2000-5 with the same result. Better late than never...

Lascaris

Reaction score
@Archibald : they kept the old ones for the Exocet. The 2000-5 can't fire them. Either that's the part the Greek industry will play, being allowed to fit them on the 2K-5, or the 18 Rafale can be seen as taking over the maritime strike role from the 16 old Mirages.
The price tag I've seen was Dassault had asked for 1 billion euros to modernize 17 Mirage 2000EG to dash 5. Unless Dassault suddenly made o logical offer as part of the deal it is not happening at all. I mean the F-16 modernizations to block 70 cost about $13 million per pop and Dassault wanted 5 times that per aircraft without an AESA radar? Hell that's about the fly-away cost of a dozen more Rafales.

I fully expect a second squadron to come sooner or later, what I wonder is whether the current government has grown enough common sense to ask joining SCAF as a junior partner. It has already shown way more common sense than I was used to...

About industrial work back about a year ago there had appeared news that Safran was supposed to invest in Greece specifically for the construction and repair of M88. At the time it made no sense... now it does make sense.