Intake design and general stealth discussions

Does RAM always have to be used or just on mission operations? I am being serious about this question. Great this even gives me more questions. As Confucius say, "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life." I heard luneberg lenses are used for stealth aircrafts to hide RCS why not just use no RAM to get the same job done? Or is it because RAM coated aircrafts are still closer to the RCS figures of stealth aircrafts without them?

God bless the moderation on this thread(worth a screenshot), although I dont remember asking this question before for a decade? Got an answer?

Does RAM always have to be used or just on mission operations? I am being serious about this question. Great this even gives me more questions. As Confucius say, "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life." I heard luneberg lenses are used for stealth aircrafts to hide RCS why not just use no RAM to get the same job done? Or is it because RAM coated aircrafts are still closer to the RCS figures of stealth aircrafts without them?

Shape is the dominant factor in RCS reduction. For example, an F-117 with no RAM applied and bare metal exposed will have a very low RCS. Almost as low as it would with RAM applied.

RAM can still make enough of a difference to be worth the maint. cost for operational missions, but the shape of the aircraft is what lowers the RCS to operationally significant levels.

I'm done, I feel like there is no point even getting excited about the maks 2021 airshow anymore.

View attachment 660463

Its like that one animated clip where the F-35 pilot ejects from his seat to launch a rocket launcher at the Su-57 they might as well make an animation of the pilot grabbing the Su-57 wing with one hand and using a Philip screw driver to unscrew the wings off with the other hand. It doesn't even look like the screws are even RAM painted. Time for me to pay attention to other 5th gen projects more.
The fasteners are below the surface. Radar might not even see them.

Wavelength is important to consider too. Very small surface features might not be important at operationally significant wavelengths. However surface discontinuities can be significant RCS contributors which is why its standard to align any doors with the primary alignment of wings etc. Its possible to use conductive or radar absorbing tape over the openings but that is maintenance heavy.

Last edited:
I think this great post by Stealthflanker should also be shared here
(no repost I hope, couldn't find it anywhere on this thread)

1629195821752.png

Su-57 intake 1 (without the patented blocker?): imgur.com/c72O4ir
Su-57 intake 2 (without the patented blocker?): s3.amazonaws.com/the-drive-staging/message-editor%2F1524527778030-su-57-fan.jpg

Su-57 radar blocker
View: https://twitter.com/RupprechtDeino/status/1335604989922828290/photo/2

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot Stealthflanker.png
    Opera Snapshot Stealthflanker.png
    749.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Opera Snapshot Su-57 Blocker.png
    Opera Snapshot Su-57 Blocker.png
    472.9 KB · Views: 47
  • thedriveSu-57.jpg
    thedriveSu-57.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 50
  • imgur.com-c72O4ir.jpeg
    imgur.com-c72O4ir.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 55
Not sure if this was shared before but someone in cooperation with out fellow forum member StealthFlanker has created some nice articles regarding radar scattering simulations on some fighters. Most notably the F-35A, Su-57 and J-20.

As always we can debate the accuracy and utility of such simulations and measurements but I see them as fairly informative. Especially given that the measurement criteria and analysis is clear and consistent with what I know and have read. Certainly the best around thus far.