Question on stand for Boeing 7X7 proposal model

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
All,
I'd like to reproduce the stand for a Boeing 7X7 proposal model that I recently purchased. It seems to be a Model 751-963, which I believe would place it in the late 70s/early 80s. I've never seen a Boeing project model in customer's colors before, but the decals on this model look original. Question: can anyone provide images or a description of what the stand would have looked like and how it would have been labeled?

Thanks,

taildragger

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 751-963.JPG
    751-963.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 362
I can probably help you. I need to know the spacing and diameter of the mounting holes under the model, and if one of them is threaded (with, ideally, the thread size and pitch). I would also like to know the size or scale of the model and what it's made of: fiberglass (very light) or resin (heavier) and if the wings come off.

I believe this model was made by Pacific Miniatures for Boeing, but need the info to confirm that.

circle-5,
Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions:
- I'd guess that the model is made of fiberglass as it weighs only 537g. The material looks dark grey in a small nick but it's very reflective and a small spot, so it's hard to tell.
- The wings are not removable.
- Length is 18.5 in. length is 17.75 in. which scales out to 1/100
-The mounting holes are 5/8" apart center-to-center. The rear hole is threaded and about 1/8" diameter, the forward one doesn't appear to be threaded and is about 3/32" diameter. I'm hesitant to try to match the threads by trying to thread a steel bolt into them as it could be destructive, but let me know if, based on the other information, that would be useful.

Regards,

Taildragger

taildragger said:
I'm hesitant to try to match the threads by trying to thread a steel bolt into them as it could be destructive, Taildragger

Had a similar problem once ago and pressed/screwed a bolt made of wax (actually made of one of those
very small candles you can place on a birthday cake) into the thread. After removing it, the result wasn't
perfect, but good enough for determining the pitch with a thread gauge.

Taildragger,

Your model was made by Wesco (Baldwin Park, California) for Boeing. See attached photos of another Wesco model (a Boeing 767 proposal for the USAF Military Airlift Command). The stand is standard Wesco, as used during that period. The stand for your model would have been similar, except possibly for an EAL logo, but that is doubtful.

Wesco is long out of business, but unless you are a perfectionist, you can still get a generally similar stand from Atlantic Models in Miami. If they have two sizes, get the small. The only difference is the aluminum doesn't wrap around the bottom as far forward as on the Wesco base, and you may have to add a pin or rivet to key the forward hole of your model, so it doesn't swivel around the screw.

As for the mounting screw, this one has a 10/32 x 3/4", but yours may be an 8/32.

Good luck -- yours is a rare and interesting model, worthy of some effort

Attachments

• Boeing C-767 Wesco 1.jpg
    Boeing C-767 Wesco 1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Boeing C-767 Wesco 2.jpg
    Boeing C-767 Wesco 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for your advice, I'll post pictures on the appropriate thread once I get it cleaned up and mounted.

Regards,

Taildragger