Question about the Convair XAB-1 "Atomic Bomber" parasitic fighters

OM

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.io.com
...After looking over a couple of threads relating to the concept and the model kit, a question popped into my mind that I haven't seen addressed in any other thread on the topic. Q: according to the basic concept, did the bomber launch with the parasitic fighters docked to the tail, or were they to launch separately then dock with the bomber before the mad dash-to-target? I suspect the latter, but considering we're dealing with a "dream project", it's possible that the question may have never been addressed much less answered.

Unlikely in the extreme than any such configuration would either land or take off with parasite aircraft cantilevered out, held on only by the nose. if they dock in flight, the attachment basically only needs to deal with tension loads. If the parasites are in place at airspeeds or angles of attack where they are not held up by their own wing left, then the attachment also needs to support some serious pitch moment... especially with bumps on takeoff (and especially landing).

However, there's no evidence that the basic concept was ever studied with any real seriousness.

Orionblamblam said:
However, there's no evidence that the basic concept was ever studied with any real seriousness.

during WW2 the German DFS made serious study this concept "nose docked to the tail"
for parasite fighter or Mistel concept and dragging payloads or glider
in end they gave concept up because the problem mentioned above and stability problem during flight

source:
Geheimprojekte der DFS 1939-1945
von Höhenaufklärer bis zum Raumgleiter
Horst Lommel, Motorbuch verlag