Justo Miranda's "Fighters of the Dying Sun"

I might have suggested "Fighters of the Setting Sun" being slightly more appropriate, since "setting" is really the opposite of "rising", but that's just semantics. The book will be very desirable regardless of the title.

I might have suggested "Fighters of the Setting Sun" being slightly more appropriate, since "setting" is really the opposite of "rising", but that's just semantics. The book will be very desirable regardless of the title.
My inspiration

Attachments

• DS PT 1 cover half.jpg
    DS PT 1 cover half.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 201
Aha! As I said, it's just a title, and not a big deal. I bet it'll be another great book.

CONTENTS

The Japanese Aggressor (28 January 1932 to 15 August 1945)

Imperial Japanese Army Aircraft and Projects

Nakajima Ki.44 Shoki

Kawasaki Ki.45 Toryu

Mitsubishi Ki.46 Shin Shitei

Kawasaki Ki.60/Ki.61/Ki.100 Hien

Nakajima Ki.62, Ki.63, Ki.84, Ki.106, Ki.113, Ki.116 and Ki.117 Hayate

Kawasaki Ki.64, Ki.78 (Ken-3) and Ki.88

High-altitude interceptors Nakajima Ki.87 and Tachikawa Ki.94

Manshu Ki.65 and Ki.98

Rikugun Kogiken Heavy Fighter

Nakajima Ki.201 Karyu

Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft and Projects

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden

The IJN “20-shi-Ko” specification

Mitsubishi J4M Senden

Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Nakajima Kikka

Yokosuka R2Y2 Keiun

Mizuno Shinryu II

Kakukyoku Rammer

Kayaba Katsuodori

Rocket Fighters

Night Fighters

Nakajima J1N1 Gekko

Kawasaki Ki.45 Toryu

Mitsubishi Ki.46 Shin Shitei (Dinah)

Nakajima Ki.84 Hayate

Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

Nakajima C6N Saiun

Yokosuka Ginga, Kawanishi Kyokko, Nakajima Byakko and Kugisho Tenga

Aichi S1A Denko

Kawasaki Ki.102

Mitsubishi Ki.109

Mitsubishi A6M2, A6M3, A6M5 and A6M5-S Zero Sen

Mitsubishi J2M3 and J2M4 Raiden

Schräge Musik

Radar Warfare

Operation Downfall

Bibliography

Yet another of Justo's books to purchase. There's enough there to really wet my interest.

This book will be in stock on April 20, 2021.

on Italy Amazon Italia is avaible kindle version of Fighters of Dying Sun .

Manshu Ki.65 and Ki.98

In February 1940 the IJA Aero-Technical Research Institute (Rikugun) requested several Japanese aircraft manufacturers to develop a high-performance interceptor to replace the Ki.44.

Kawasaki received orders to develop the Ki.60 and the Ki.61 fighters powered by one 1,100 hp Ha-40 inline, liquid cooled engine. Nakajima developed the Ki.62 powered by one Ha-40 and the Ki.64 powered by one 1,050 hp Ha-102 radial, air-cooled engine. Mitsubishi proposed to modify the J2M Raiden to suit the needs of the IJA.

The new aircraft, named Ki.65, should be powered by a 1,080 hp Ha-102 Zuisei or a 1,850 hp Ha-101 Kasei radial engines. Mitsubishi hoped to have its first prototype completed in March 1942, but the firm was so overworked getting ready for the war that the IA decided to transfer the project to Manshu Hikoki Seizo K.K. in the spring of 1941.

The Koku Hombu suggested using a 1,850 hp Ha-111 engine for the prototype and a 2,200 Ha-43/Ha-211 18-cylinder double-star radial engine for the production version. The diameter of the Ha-211 was 11 cm shorter than that of the Ha-101 used by the Raiden, allowing Manshu designers to use a reduced front section fuselage, shortening the shaft extension. Increased engine power allowed a new wing with increased span and surface to improve high-altitude manoeuvrability.

Late in 1942 the Koku Hombu issued a heavy fighter specification, calling for one high-altitude interceptor that could be modified for use in ground close-support and anti-landing ships duties. The armour required for this type of attacks and the weight of the armament required the use of very powerful engines, so most of the projects presented (Kawasaki Ki.102, Mitsubishi Ki.83 and Rikugun Ki.93) were twin engine airplanes.

The firm Manshu Hikoki Seizo K.K. decided to adopt the aerodynamic solutions of the Focke-Wulf with BMW 803A for its single engine project Ki.98, which could meet the specification with half the power of the Ki.83. By1941, the German firm BMW had developed a 4,500 hp, 28 cylinder, 4-row radial, liquid-cooled monster engine called BMW 803.

Following the cancellation of the Focke-Wulf 238 bomber project, Kurt Tank's team designed a 9,000 kg high-altitude interceptor powered by one BMW 803A with two-stage, four-speed supercharger. The twin boom configuration allowed the installation of a heavy engine in the centre of gravity of the aircraft, which improved manoeuvrability and allowed to build smaller airframes, with material and weight savings. The forward section of the fuselage allowed the installation of heavy non-synchronized cannons with dual use, anti-tank and anti-bomber.

The main drawback of this configuration was the cooling of the engine; therefore, it was necessary to design a new tricycle landing gear and a bail-out system for the pilot. In July 1943, the IJA authorized the construction of a prototype, powered by one 2,200 hp Ha-211-III air-cooled radial engine and armed with one 37 mm Ho-204 and two 20 mm Ho-5 cannons. In the spring of 1944, the Koku Hombu was informed of the operational characteristics of the new Ru-303 turbo-supercharger, which Mitsubishi would begin producing in 1945.

The IJA decided to prioritize the construction of the high-altitude version of the 1942 specification and instructed Manshu that the Ki.98 should be for modified B-29s interception duties, powered by one Ha-211 Ru turbocharged engine. Manshu expected to have the prototype finished by mid1945, but when the Red Army began the invasion of Manchuria in August, the plane was destroyed, along with all project documentation to avoid capture by the Soviets.

Mitsubishi Ki.65 technical data

Wingspan: 10.8 m, length: 9.5 m, height: 3.81 m, wing area: 20 sq.m, max speed: 620 kph, max weight: 2,720 kg, ceiling: 10,000 m, endurance: 7.5 hr with drop tank, engine: one 1,530 hp Mitsubishi Ha-101 Kasei radial, armament: 2 x 20 mm Ho-5 cannons in the wings and two 7.7 mm Type 97 light machine guns in the nose.

Manshu Ki.65 technical data

Wingspan: 12.5 m, length: 9.7 m, height: 2.97 m, wing area: 24 sq.m, max speed: 680 kph, max weight: 4,160 kg, engine: one 2,200 hp Mitsubishi Ha-211 radial, armament: 2 x 20 mm Ho-5 cannons in the wings and two 12.7 mm Ho-103 heavy machine guns in the nose.

Manshu Ki.98 technical data

Wingspan: 11.26 m, length: 11.40 m, height: 4.30 m, wing area: 24 sq.m, max speed: 731 kph, max weight: 4,500 kg, ceiling: 10,000 m, range: 1,250 km.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
Is the book based on primary research in Japanese archives?

Is the book based on primary research in Japanese archives?
Access to Japanese archives is not easy for a gaijin, but even if I had had the opportunity to consult them it would not have helped me at all because I cannot read Japanese. If that worries you, you'd better not buy my book.

I have noticed three typo about image of Nakajima 201 where is written " Nakajima Ki-102 instead Nakajima 201" : it's not a great mistake !

Ki-64 was developed by Kawasaki ... and it had two Ha-40 inline liquid cooled engines in tandem; one in the aircraft nose, the other behind the cockpit, both being connected by a drive shaft.

And why not include Mitsubishi A7M Reppu in the book ?

Last edited:
Ki-64 was developed by Kawasaki ... and it had two Ha-40 inline liquid cooled engines in tandem; one in the aircraft nose, the other behind the cockpit, both being connected by a drive shaft.

in book there are also Mitsubishi A7M Reppu .

Mitsubishi A7M Reppu coverage starts at page 111 with IJN 20-shi-Ko Specification and goes through A7M1, -2, -3, -3-J-KAI and A8M1, ending at page 124.
Quite good to me.

I've just started reading the book. I'm on page 90, just found the Nakajima "Ki-102". Should be noted before a reprint.
I like it very much and makes a good addition to Dyer's Japanese Secret Projects and Francillon's Putnam Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War.

Would be great to see a companion "Bombers of the Dying Sun"

Mitsubishi A7M Reppu coverage starts at page 111 with IJN 20-shi-Ko Specification and goes through A7M1, -2, -3, -3-J-KAI and A8M1, ending at page 124.
Quite good to me.

I've just started reading the book. I'm on page 90, just found the Nakajima "Ki-102". Should be noted before a reprint.
I like it very much and makes a good addition to Dyer's Japanese Secret Projects and Francillon's Putnam Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War.

"Bombers of the Dying Sun" : we want this ...:D:D

Pages 117 & 118

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

Quite good to me.

"Bombers of the Dying Sun" : we want this ...:D:D
Submarine-launched Ohkas against the Panama Canal or giant hexamotors casting shadows of death over Los Angeles?:D

Quite good to me.

Yo escribire ese libro cuando tu te tires al agua con el de bombarderos americanos...hay trato?;)

Hi Justo

On page 150 of your excellent new book, “Fighters of the Dying Sun”, you refer to the first prototype of the Kyushu J7W1 canard fighter as the “X-18”.

Could you please tell us the source of this designation? I’ve never seen it before.

Regards, Harry

Last edited:
Hi Again

I think I found it.

As posted by Blackkite in:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...den-j7w2-shinden-kai.16914/page-5#post-480952

It appears this design was initially referred to as the “18th Ground Test Local Fighter” when ordered for development. I assume that’s where the “X-18” designation came from.

Again, the Forum reveals itself as the unmatched source of esoteric information it is... Thanks, Blackkite!

Harry

I have enjoyed my copy as I have enjoyed all your other works. One minor translation quibble, it should be cooling or cooling systems, not refrigerating systems.

Best Seller:)
Fighters of the Dying Sun: The Most Advanced Japanese Fighters of the Second World War Kindle Edition

by Justo Miranda (Author) Format: Kindle Edition

Product details

ASIN ‏ : ‎ B098M3P7NG