• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Proposed Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe and Hughes TH-55 for Bundeswehr - Heersflieger

RavenOne

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
In Paul Beaver's Military Helicopters handbook written in the 1980s, when comes to the then Hughes TH-55 Osage, theres a brief mention that it was offered to the German Army Aviation as a trainer, equipped with a Porsche engine.

Also in the Vietnam Helicopter Handbook by Barry Gregory, when the section on the CH-54 Tarhe, it said that one was demo'd by Sikorsky to the Bundeswehr.

Does anyone have any brochures or pamphlets detailing of the above or even conceptual pics of the helos in German markings at all?

Cheers

RavenOne

Reaction score
uk 75,

Many thanks for that now any more info on the proposed Hughes TH-55 Osage for the training requirement for the Heersflieger?

Cheers

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Raven

I have checked a range of reference sources from the early 60s and can find no useful
info on the Hughes for Germany. It does seem to have been offered to a range of countries.

Germany in fact used the Alouette in this role, and also had some pilot training done in the US,
perhaps including with the US Army on Hughes.

UK 75

SlickDriver

Reaction score
I can attest to the German pilot training on the TH-55 in 1980. We had an entire West German unit at Fort Rucker when I went through flight school and they were flying TH-55s just like the rest of us WOCs.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Loren said:
I can attest to the German pilot training on the TH-55 in 1980. We had an entire West German unit at Fort Rucker when I went through flight school and they were flying TH-55s just like the rest of us WOCs.
Hmmm... interesting. Did the German pilots call them "Oh-Sar-Jee", "Oss-Age" or "Aw-Zag-Er"? ;D

SlickDriver

Reaction score
Actually they called them the same thing as the American pilots - Gnats. Though some of the time the Germans and the WOCs mainly referred to them as just 55s but not Osage. Nobody in the US Army at that time called them Osage.

Kind of like the official name of the UN-1 was Iroquois but nobody ever used it.

RavenOne

Reaction score
Re: Proposed Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe and Hughes TH-55 for Bundeswehr-Heeresflieger

Dear all,

Here's the little bit that mentioned the proposal for the Heeresflieger for the TH-55/TH-300C

Apologies for the poor quality of scan as I had to use my iphone camera to take a copy as opposed to destroying the book and bending the pages back!

Cheers