• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Propeller Sleds in WW II

edwest

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Russians used a small, closed car with skis and a propeller in the back for traveling through snow during the war. The Germans captured some for their own use.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
The Russians used a small, closed car with skis and a propeller in the back for traveling through snow during the war. The Germans captured some for their own use.
The Aerosani (known in the West as aero-sleds), though some types had no cabs. Below, via Dark Roasted Blend is an example of a captured aero-sled, not sure of the model:

The Germans were quite impressed by the aero-sleds they encountered, and attempted to reverse engineer or otherwise build their own versions, for example, the Tatra V 855 (only two prototypes, built in 1942).

(TatraWorld via Dark Roasted Blend)

Last edited:

JC Carbonel

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The De Lesseps sled with Filippi Cyrnos wing was entered in a Russian military competition for sleds. But that was in 1913, nearly thirty years before the Russian / WH you evoke. Here it is shown in Chamonix. the date is claimed to be 1914 (so after the Russian competition) but I doubt it....

JCC

Attachments

edwest

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. The types shown are not the same as the type I have seen on German eBay. I will post something the next time I see one.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Some of those aerosleds resupplied Lenleningrad
during the dreadful winter siege.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
From the article link provided by Stenda G:
The armament of the aerosan was more impressive than that of the tank. Instead of a 12.7 mm DShK machinegun, the project used the 23 mm MP-6 (PT-23TB) autocannon designed by OKB-16 with a coaxial 7.62 mm DT machinegun. The crew also had personal weapons: 20 grenades and a PPD submachinegun. The submachinegun could be fired from five ports in the hull and turret.

Even though OKB-16 chief, Taubin, insisted that the MP-6 was in mass production, there was only one such gun. According to GABTU's plans, the MP-6 would be installed and tested in the T-40 tank in January of 1941, and the gun was already installed in the tank. Days before the trials were scheduled to start, the gun was removed and moved to the aerosan.

The verdict of the acceptance commission seems interesting:
  1. The weight of the experimental prototype is 5360 kg, instead of the 4700 kg approved by the Model Commission.
  2. A used up MP-6 gun sent by OKB-16 is installed instead of a combat ready specimen.
  3. The TMFP optical sight is missing (the People's Commissariat of Armament never sent one).
  4. 36 magazines of ammunition are missing from the full ammunition loadout.
In other words, the gun was only good as a dummy weight, and gunnery trials could not be performed. This failure was directly connected with repressions of the OKB-16 management.

Aubi

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.armedconflicts.com
That "Finnish" aerosled is NKL-16/41.
https://www.armedconflicts.com/SOV-NKL-16-41-aerosane-t39701#225970 (machine translated)

Tatra V 855:

Whole article about aerosleds in Russia/USSR, in Czech: