Project Tom Tom (B-36 + RF-84F as parasite fighter )

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The Idea was crazy
A B-36 carry two jet-fighters into enemy airspace, attach on it's wing tip
during tow the jet-fighters engines are off and B-36 supply them with air & electric power
This video show not only the Test on Tom Tom but also the Hardware in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IikW5AZEmQ

The main idea is to make the composite aircraft more efficient in that the fighters increased the aspect ratio and wing area of the system to make it more aerodynamically efficient. I just look at that and thank of the large moment at the connection and the weight penalty as a result. Not to mention that they're trying to to join the aircraft at what is the most turbulent area (Tip Vortex) of the mother ship.

I doubt that the increased aspect ratio of the joined aircraft was a factor since:
- the swept wing of the F-84 projects forward of the B-36 wing and would seem to be ill-placed to affect tip vortices. Winglets, 767-type wingtip extensions and formations of geese generally sweep aft.
- if the F-84 were to produce net lift, it would create a hinge moment at the connection point which would have to be countered by drag-producing aileron movement or heavy structure built into the mating apparatus. Either would, I think, offset any increased efficiency from the higher aspect ratio.
I think this was simply a way to pull a short-ranged aircraft along on a long trip and was an alternative to towing, aerial refueling mating to the fuselage.

Talking about Project Tom Tom (well more correctly Project Tip-Tow), I just had this come in my feed:

NACA studed concept of a B-36 with a B-47 attached to each wingtip.

(Please note, if this subject already exists, I apologise)

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom