Problem with Amazon had a happy end

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been ordering books at Amazon. Everything went right and I was satisfied until the last book I ordered was not delivered to me.

I ordered "Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego, 1923-1962
Robert E. Bradley" on September 3, 2009
Order Number: 002-3509453-6359406

The book shipped on April 18, 2010
Total for This Shipment: $27.86.
In Amazon, the cost of goods in charged at shipment
Delivery estimate:June 2, 2010

On July 14, 2010 I sent an email to Amazon's Customer Service because the book was undelivered. Amazon answer was very kind. They recommended to wait until July 29, 2010 and, if still undelivered, contact them for refund or replacement.

On August 4, 2010 I contacted them for replacement. And here starts the nightmare!

On August 5, 2010, at Amazon's own iniciative, because nobody asked me, generated a new order for the book (Order # 104-8246798-3244264) and tryed to bill for it, accessing my customer data without my knowledge. I think this should be an ILEGALITY.
To be more funny, the cost of this order was higher than when I ordered in 2009. Fortunately I had no funds in the card to prevent "internet surprises".

I have received no single comunication from Amazon's Customer Service since July 15, 2010. Nobody has informed about nothing so I guess I have lost the book and the money.

hmm...very strange...Amazon always sent a replacement if book was lost in the mail or came damaged, but charge second time for it...really strange happens

Strange indeed.....I have been shopping with Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk for years, and have had nothing but excellent experiences with them. Even on the rare occasion when I needed to return an item. I even received my copy of "Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego, 1923-1962".

I'm surprised to hear that they've delivered sub-standard service, Pometablava, but maybe you just caught them on a bad day (or several bad days, it would seem......) :-[

As for the legality of the stunt they pulled, I'm not sure. If you've clearly indicated to them that the original order was never delivered, then simply creating a new order in your name, and expecting you to pay up once more, sounds a bit like something the government would do. So it's probably illegal for everyone else ;)

Did you shop at Amazon.com, or at one of the "regional offices"?

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

pometablava you order at Amazon US or UK ?

i get fake E-mails about orders i supposed had made at Amazon.US (note the spelling)

the only real problem i have with Amazon UK
is if take order i find in basket always "Secrets Projects: Flying and Tailless Aircraft" ::)
in another case i buy in "the marketplace", the shop in UK put postcode separate to Cityname
the Belgium Post dint find my address for weeks and send Book to Netherland post, they delivery 6 hours later...

pometablava you order at Amazon US or UK ?

I ordered that book in Amazon US

Think I have purchased over 50 books from Amazon US between 2006-2010. In 2008 I experienced the same problem. There was a book that was lost, but I contacted Customer Service and they replaced it immediately, obviously at no cost to me.

But now, I've been simply ignored. Don't understand why. Probably Amazon decided to secretly withdraw the Customer Service...who knows

OMG, I think I'm not the first Amazon victim:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/amazon.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/amazoncom-c399.html

As you may know Amazon doesn't really have any Customer Service. You can't email them except on their web page so you have no record of the emails and you can't have a threaded dialogue with them. And the email they respond back with, you cannot reply to. You have to go back to their web page and start all over again. Furthermore all that their reps know how to do is send out a form letter. They don't really read the email you send or actually respond to its contents.

Very bad news then...

FWIW, I've never had anything but good luck with Amazon. They are rigid in their policies, but the policies are clear. You can cancel before something has entered the "shipping process", which actually happens pretty fast for something listed as in stock. Backorders I've found are easy to cancel. In fact, if something is delayed longer than their estimate, they usually send an email asking if you still want the order to go on. Looking at the complaints, they seem to be mostly from or about third party sellers. One important rule of thumb: Never buy from any Amazon dealer who has a satisfaction rating of less than 95%.

Given their volume, I'm sure they screw up at times. BTW, at least Amazon USA has a customer service dept. The number is 800-201-7575. The people who answer are not always in the US, and you do sometimes run the risk of what can happen when dealing with outsourced locations, but if you call back at a different time you can get someone in the US, Canada or Ireland if necessary.

Well, I live in Spain so the most natural way to comunicate with Amazon is email.

I've been sent 4 emails to Amazon this week and nobody has addressed to me, is that a Customer Service?. I think at least somebody could send me an email and tell me anything. Just a gesture, even if they don't want to refund or replace the book. It's a question of dignity, fairplay...call it what you want.

They are rigid in their policies, but the policies are clear
Ignoring a customer call for help is not a clear policy to me.

My Amazon orders number over 200 books in over 65 separate orders and have had a perfect delivery record except one. An order was two weeks overdue so I contacted them and they replaced the order right away. Then the old order showed up and they didn't even want it back so I gave the books away to a friend on this site.

I've used Amazon.co.uk (the British site) quite a lot before; now only when I can't find stuff elsewhere, since I've found some Swedish web shops. Never had problems like that with Amazon.co.uk, though once I made the mistake of having a fast delivery on one item and a slower delivery on another, and I couldn't change it to make both slow (and cheaper) for some reason.

Gentlemen,

Today I received a notification from my bank. Amazon has refunded me for the lost book. At the end, it seems they read my emails and help me.