Possible stealth aspects of the famous Mig-105 Spiral OS

Kane

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Okay. So its been known for years that the Soviets designed and launched a space based interceptor known as the Spiral. it did not reach production phase, but scale models where able to reach LEO manned. It is also known that under a veil of secrecy the Soviet had been working for years on a "plasma" stealth system for their aircraft. this is just a bit of speculation on my part but it seems to me the only time an aircraft would have the luxury of having radar absorbing plasma around it is a re entry speed such as the spiral achieved. It seemed to make a little too much sense to me that if the Soviets wanted to protect a space based fighter from attack during its most vulnerable stage (reentry) the most obvious choice would be to utilize the Plasma formed under the craft as a radar absorbing buffer. Again i am basing this simply on my extensive knowledge of Soviet design, and their often times outlandish Fixes to problems they encounter.Any insight into this theory would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

So what if it was invisible to radar, the IR signature would be huge, negating any advantage provided by the plasma.

This is indeed true but long range detection of aircraft especially at high altitudes is mostly handled by Active radar posts. the possibility of a "stealth" spacecraft is something im sure US Space command did not take too seriously. DSP would surely pick it up but how long do you think the Soviets would have let the DSP system remain operational in the event of Space hostilities or global nuclear war. I can think of several projects offhand that were being designed especially to western early warning sites.

Kane said:
DSP would surely pick it up but how long do you think the Soviets would have let the DSP system remain operational in the event of Space hostilities or global nuclear war. I can think of several projects offhand that were being designed especially to western early warning sites.

No, the Soviets only had low orbit ASAT's, nothing for GSO. Laser blinding was never really proven and not all DSP's were over Soviet territory.

Kane said:
. DSP would surely pick it up but how long do you think the Soviets would have let the DSP system remain operational in the event of Space hostilities or global nuclear war.

In that case, Spiral wouldn't be a factor in any conflict, which was the topic.

scale models where able to reach LEO manned.

Nope. Aircraft 105 (Mig 105) was manned, but a subsonic glider.

BOR-4 went to LEO of course, but unmanned.

Kane said:
if the Soviets wanted to protect a space based fighter from attack during its most vulnerable stage (reentry) the most obvious choice would be to utilize the Plasma formed under the craft as a radar absorbing buffer.
protect from whom and from what? at re-entry, Spiral orbiter would have all his little dirty job done, gliding back to Soviet territory
obviously, leaving 14-miles long plasma trail vehicle is hardly could be tracked from anywhere...wait...how they are gonna do this with all these MIRVs then?
for start, learn how Shuttle Orbiters being tracked at re-entry

Archibald said:
Nope. Aircraft 105 (Mig 105) was manned, but a subsonic glider.
105.11 to say exactly

They say supersonics and hypersonics Mig 105 were also build, or partially build, but never flown. They were the 105.12 and 105.13 (the latter a fuselage only).
Anyone knows what happened to the 105.12 ?

Back
Top Bottom