Polish PZL M-38 « Bryza » aircraft used for U.S. Army Special Ops

The M28 is the Skytruck, Poland's version of the An-28 with Western turboprops. USSOCOM ordered a bunch of those in 2009 for shuttling small teams around in forward areas.The M38 number seems to be wrong--PZL doesn't use that designation for any version of the Skytruck. (And Baugher's websites says M28, not M38)

Here's a brief article, with a picture, about the USSOCOM aircraft:

http://www.estesbog.com/2009/05/pzl-mi-28-usafs-new-special-ops-plane

Wierd timing..

I just saw one of these yesterday flying over Albuquerque, and I was trying to figure out what it was.

What about this site;

http://www.militaryimages.net/media/pzl-m-38-bryza.5434/

FWIW, this maritime patrol version was called PZL M-28B1R Bryza-1R at Radom 2003-08-29.

I think the designation C-145A (Combat Coyote) was assigned to the AFSOC/SOCOM PZL M28 aircraft in May 2012. Up to 16 examples may have been aqcuired and one was reportedly tested as mini gunship (two 0.50in machine guns) .

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=709480
Google search brings up quite a few images of this plane—none with and national markings.

message-editor%2F1625083924367-mc-145b-weapons.jpg

I am told it is a very solid aircraft, a mix of eastern pragmatism on design and western enhancement. Lands in ugly (short) places and is easy for less well trained/equipped air forces to train and fly on. Truly a flying pick up truck.

Could moderators change the topic' name to appropriate M28? Or/and mention MC-145B?

I have one or two photos on my site of those C-145A

AFSOC had 16 of them, but over the last few years they've downsized the fleet to around 5 or so. The rest when to either the AZ Police or into storage at AMARC, with one also going to a private owner.

Since then at least 5 have been flown out of the boneyard - 2 went to the Estonian Air Force, 2 have gone to the Kenyan Air Force with another to follow.

The Wily Coyote aircraft referenced above is a new build aircraft from the Polish Factory delivered to SNC in June last year for modification.

So

So, the Wily Coyote plane can deploy the Coyote UAS. That's not going to be confusing...

(Honestly, it won't be for the operators, because everything is going to be referred to by call sign or brevity codes, not official program names. But the repetition is amusing.)

This actually looks like a very valuable capability. Launches from short/rough fields in theater under direct opcon of the local SOF commanders, loiters as needed, and can deploy both direct fire and standoff weapons. MALD and SDB are probably pushing things a bit but the rest makes perfect sense.

The Armed Overwatch program has striked me as overlapping too much with the existing drone fleet. This vehicle is however is different enough.

Perhaps one can rerun the original hind operating concept of both carrying the infantry and providing fire support in a single airframe.

the patches were applied when they were put into storage at AMARC as protection.

as an asside regarding it's performance - when SNC had the white hack aircraft, they used it for USAF pilot training locally. I watched them perform stop and goes with one engine completely shut down and feathered - it climbed like it was still running on two engines, Very overpowered and very impressive.

Any of those nice pics to share? :)
Still looking for the other visit but here is one from August, 2012. Cannot believe it has been that long....

Attachments

• zMG_5213.jpg
    zMG_5213.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 39
  • zMG_5265.jpg
    zMG_5265.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 38
  • zMG_5276.jpg
    zMG_5276.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 36
  • zMG_5281.jpg
    zMG_5281.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 33
  • zMG_5284.jpg
    zMG_5284.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 33
Any of those nice pics to share? :)
Still looking for the other visit but here is one from August, 2012. Cannot believe it has been that long....
Another hide in plain sight type we have had visit is the Do328. Though I think this one needs paved surfaces....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_5771.jpg
    zMG_5771.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 34
  • zMG_5764.jpg
    zMG_5764.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 29
  • zMG_5784.jpg
    zMG_5784.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 23
  • zMG_8536.jpg
    zMG_8536.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 21
  • zMG_8541.jpg
    zMG_8541.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 20
  • zMG_8544.jpg
    zMG_8544.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 23
  • zMG_8549.jpg
    zMG_8549.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 34
Superb photos! Not sure of the nomenclature for the Dornier, but I believe they are called "Greyhound". They do indeed require prepared surfaces to operate.

Thanks for sharing.

So

So, the Wily Coyote plane can deploy the Coyote UAS. That's not going to be confusing...

(Honestly, it won't be for the operators, because everything is going to be referred to by call sign or brevity codes, not official program names. But the repetition is amusing.)

This actually looks like a very valuable capability. Launches from short/rough fields in theater under direct opcon of the local SOF commanders, loiters as needed, and can deploy both direct fire and standoff weapons. MALD and SDB are probably pushing things a bit but the rest makes perfect sense.

Where's the anvil?

1627251911648.png

Have seen AFSOC C-145 albeit in civvy blue and white paint scheme turn up at Mildenhall few years back and now

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...wily-coyote-armed-special-ops-transport-plane

Built by heir Polish subsidiary of Sikorsky -PZL-Milec anyhow now

View attachment 612373

View attachment 612372

?? I am confused. I thought Sierra Nevada Corp., was the prime for the Wiley Coyote?

Are both vendors promoting the same core platform?

Ah! Never mind, duh! Sikorsky is now a wholly owned subsidiary of LMCO.