Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Asked about the potential tank acquisition and its status, a spokesperson for the Polish Defence Ministry told Defense News that “as part of the ongoing analyses related to the operational needs, we have identified the necessity to provide [Polish] armored military units with modern tanks that would comply with the requirements of the modern battlefield.”
“We are currently performing analytical-conceptual work with the aim to define the possibilities of securing these capacities based on the available technical solutions that are proposed [to Poland] by potential suppliers,” the spokesperson said.
The Polish Armed Forces are reportedly interested in acquiring up to 250 tanks in the M1A2 SEPv3 variant and a further dozen tracked vehicles for training under a deal estimated to be worth between 11 billion zloty (U.S. $2.9 billion) and 19 billion zloty (U.S. $5 billion).

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Asked about the potential tank acquisition and its status, a spokesperson for the Polish Defence Ministry told Defense News that “as part of the ongoing analyses related to the operational needs, we have identified the necessity to provide [Polish] armored military units with modern tanks that would comply with the requirements of the modern battlefield.”
“We are currently performing analytical-conceptual work with the aim to define the possibilities of securing these capacities based on the available technical solutions that are proposed [to Poland] by potential suppliers,” the spokesperson said.
The Polish Armed Forces are reportedly interested in acquiring up to 250 tanks in the M1A2 SEPv3 variant and a further dozen tracked vehicles for training under a deal estimated to be worth between 11 billion zloty (U.S. $2.9 billion) and 19 billion zloty (U.S. $5 billion).
Seems like I've been reading about Polish Abrams for over a decade now or longer, certainly not complaining though.

Is it time to write off any further modernization attempts of the PT-91 and T-72 fleet?

Last edited:

Moose

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The PT-72 and T-72 are getting updates to stick around for a bit until a replacement can fully come online, but Poland's been on a quest for a new front line tank for a couple years now. They don't seem interested in sticking with Leopard II, and at least until recently it looked like they might end up with a bespoke variant of South Korea's Black Panther. But the Abrams talk has come on strong, in a way that suggests there's a real push for it happening right now.

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score
It is pass time for Lima start to start talking about another vehicle so sell some SEPs. :oops:

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
does this mean they gave up on the K2 Black Panther?

or was it a separate project.. although not sure if any army really needs two MBTs of the same generation

Last edited:

Wyvern

Reaction score
or was it a separate project.. although not sure if any army really needs two MBTs
Unless they intend to greatly expand their MBT fleet quickly, which seems to be what the Poles are going for. They have a large fleet of T-72s and PT-91s that urgently need replacing. The South Koreans may not have the production capacity to produce the amount the Poles need, or it could be the the number of K2s they wished to have was out of their budget, and the M1 was a cheaper option to suit their plans.

There are three other possibilities that could be the case:

1) The Poles intend to retire their fleet of Leopards, as well as their fleet of T-72s and PT-91s.

2) They wish to use a combination of Leopards, M1s and K2s to expand their fleet.

3) The Poles wish to have an MBT which would be similar on a spare parts basis to the ones of their allies.

The above possibilities are purely hypothetical, and are only speculation on my part.

This all assumes they are buying both, as from the report I've read, they Polish Defence Ministry has not confirmed that they are dropping the K2. These reports also say they are ordering 250 or the type, which is just under half of what is needed to replace the T-72s and PT-91s. The K-2 is still on the cards, unless the Polish Defence Ministry states otherwise. One has to realise the position they're in; Russia isn't that far away, and tensions have only been on the rise in the past few years. Poland has an ageing MBT fleet that needs replacing, so I won't be surprised if they eventually order the K2 somewhere down the line when the Leopard 2PLs and the last upgraded PT-91s are retired.

Wyvern

Reaction score
Here are the reports I was reading:

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Still needs US approval for the sale as far as I'm aware. Not that I expect it will be an issue.

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
This all assumes they are buying both, as from the report I've read, they Polish Defence Ministry has not confirmed that they are dropping the K2. These reports also say they are ordering 250 or the type, which is just under half of what is needed to replace the T-72s and PT-91s. The K-2 is still on the cards, unless the Polish Defence Ministry states otherwise. One has to realise the position they're in; Russia isn't that far away, and tensions have only been on the rise in the past few years. Poland has an ageing MBT fleet that needs replacing, so I won't be surprised if they eventually order the K2 somewhere down the line when the Leopard 2PLs and the last upgraded PT-91s are retired.

imho K2 not needed because US has hundreds of various version M1 in the storage for potencial replacement poland war losses. And what South Korea has to offer in a war case - half a dozen :D? Abrams is one choice if you need combat endurance

Last edited: