Please share you're ideas for a stealth strike bomber ;)

malipa

TU Delft AE student
Reaction score
Personally, I was thinking of a 25 meter long, 20 meter wide aircraft, in a delta shape, flap like a flying wing and having a capacity of carrying 22000 kg of payload, and next to that two Aim-9X's and 2 amraams. It will be able to use EMP anti-missile system.

I'm busy making a concept of this, any ideas?

FB-23

Attachments

• fb-23_507h_zps43e825de[1].jpg
    fb-23_507h_zps43e825de[1].jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 774
  • fb-23_ats26446_NGC_FB-23_zps0dc02cb0[1].jpg
    fb-23_ats26446_NGC_FB-23_zps0dc02cb0[1].jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 729
Concepts analysed for my 2100 project:
- Oblique flying wing
- Composite airplane (low-observable cruise/station-holding UAV wing, and missile or reusable dash component)
- High speed flying wing, with retractable wing for cruise
- Small low observable sub-sonic terrain masking design
- Subsonic flying wing

If anyone would be interested in helping with the project - let me know!

What is the advantage of aan oblique wing? And an retractable wing will give the aircraft a lot more weight. I guess a flying delta wing with a golfball surface on the back , so just after the highest point of the wing to the end, will give it superior acceleration and will give it a very high top speed, with already a low drag because of its design, less powerfull engines and give it great range.

An oblique flying wing offer very high subsonic and supersonic efficiency. Only the engines move (and then over a limit angle). The downsides are engineering cost and loss of maneuverability while super-sonic (due to control coupling and risk of the forward part of the wing warping).

A retractable wing could be conformal (external to the airframe) and would allow a super-sonic design to have a relative efficient cruise mode - potentially important if you need the platform to have both dash capability and endurance (especially important if it is a smaller aircraft, or one expected to remain on-call to provide ground support)

So actually both the retractable and oblique wing aren't the answer. For ground support I guess an rather economical aircraft, with great range, is of essence. So great range is needed. I guess an aircraft with a bit wing area will suite this, this adds lift, essential for the rather heavy bombload (twice that of the f-15e, capable of carrying 20 jdam gbu-31).

What are the requirements? The qualities that a design has are a direct result of the requirements it must meet.

It's requirements are:
- CAS mission able, so it needs to have some endurance (in range and structural strength)
- 22000 kg payload
- range: 6000 nmi
- supercruise
- thrustvectoring engines

The large aircraft in the attached image is my version of a stealthy supplement for the F-15E Strike Eagle. This distant relative to the YF-23 (Senior Jewel is the mythical program name) performs strike/intelligence, surveillance, & reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft, circa 2027.

Although this particular vehicle carries just 2 training AGM-158 Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles (JASSM) in the forward weapons bay, a variety of weapons, sensors, and fuel tanks can be slung from the rear weapons bay and fuselage & wing hardpoints. AJT

Attachments

• AIRSCAN 10-27.jpg
    AIRSCAN 10-27.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 497
6,000 nautical miles? That's on the order of some models of the 747 (which has relatively fuel-efficient, high bypass turbofans). As a supersonic aircraft, your desired plane would no doubt be less fuel-efficient and would need to be quite large to hold enough fuel. Concorde might be a good analogue here, as it is a large, supercruising aircraft and it has a range of 3,900 nautical miles. We'd probably be talking of something larger than that in order to achieve the desired range (unless the engines will be far more efficient or it has a larger fuel fraction). Although surprisingly, I just learned that the B-1B has a range over 6,000 nautical miles (unless that was a typo).

Why ask explicitly for thrust-vectoring engines? Those are usually a design solution, not a design requirement. Something this large certainly wouldn't be doing post-stall maneuvers. Alternatively, I do suppose they could potentially be used to reduce trim drag during cruise.

Hi,

I have a new idea for Stealth Strike Bomber with new design,but the problem my paint is too bad,I confess,
that I can't draw well.

I'm sure you could with enough practice - we'd all be interested in what you'd come up with.

My newer thoughts:
- How can one increase internal volume so as to have a very high bypass engine (perhaps driving a second fan) that mixes cooler air with the exhaust and increases IR stealth?

Volume is already at such a premium in these designs - but there might be an aerodynamic optima somewhere that could do it.

Back
Top Bottom