Phillips and Powis (MIles) X2 bomber proposal - 1938

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In 1938 Fred MIles submitted his design for a 'blended wing' airliner to the Air Ministry, roughly in line with specifications 14/38 and 15/38. In the brochure he also included a speculative adaptation of the project as a bomber. It had five turrets and two side gun posts giving a total firepower of 4 37mm cannons plus 14 .303 Brownings. No details of load or performance were included.
Here is my model of the project.
X2model.jpg

Last edited:
In 1938 Fred MIles submitted his design for a 'blended wing' airliner to the Air Ministry, roughly in line with specifications 14/38 and 15/38. In the brochure he also included a speculative adaptation of the project as a bomber. It had five turrets and two side gun posts giving a total firepower of 4 37mm cannons plus 14 .303 Brownings. No details of load or performance were included.
Here is my model of the project.
View attachment 641921
There was a similar thread in this forum : so this is the variant bomber of Miles X-2 .

[/QUOTE]
There was a similar thread in this forum : so this is the variant bomber of Miles X-2 .
[/QUOTE]

Yes...that's why it says X2 in the thread title ;)

That's got to be one of the most unusual tail gun turret layouts ever! Imagine the complexity of the feed shoots for those and the magazine arrangements!

That's got to be one of the most unusual tail gun turret layouts ever! Imagine the complexity of the feed shoots for those and the magazine arrangements!

And from what I can make of the plans no ability to fire dead astern, making the whole monstrosity an even more incomprehensible design decision.

The second diagram shows the field of fire from all the turrets. There were to be 4 Brownings in the tail cone, although when I built the model it was hard to see how these would have been installed