PC specification suggestions please.

Foo Fighter

Cum adolescunt hominem verum esse volo.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

My 2009 Chillblast pc suffered a minor fault, turns out the CMOS battery required replacement. Minor thing? Not so, the battery housing broke.

I know, 'IT' does indeed happen.

Any suggestions for specifying a pc with decent cad model render and a little very old game, gaming?

Not to mention the usual GP purposes of course.

It's an old pc so the whole shebang, sadly.

How much are you looking to spend; outright as little as possible, or do you have a certain price range you're willing to spend?

Pretty much anything built today will outperform a computer from 2009, but if you wanted to improve on its CAD capabilities, etc you might be interested in spending more.

Either way, sounds like you won't need much of a GPU, which is a good thing given that graphics card prices are through the roof currently due to chip shortages and cryptocurrencies. You'll also definitely want an SSD for your C: drive.

One minor thing to note is that DVD drives are really uncommon on a lot of PCs these days, but you can always just buy a portable DVD drive that plugs in via USB if you want to access any old files or programs that are only available on disks.

Also are there any other specific requirements, like the need to connect to the internet via WiFi, or fit >2 hard drives (specifically hard drives; SSDs don't need trays like HDDs do), etc? Am I also right to assume that you're in the US?

Older server/workstation parts are almost always the cheapest option. Older thinkpads are the cheapest laptops.

No space among other things so self build not viable, sadly, cheaper. Desk top is the option I'm after as laptops seem to me not to be real pc's, Old bugger alert. Chillblast are at the top at the moment because the latest system came from them.