• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

PAK DA ""Poslannik" program - Tupolev 'Izdeliye 80' bomber

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
So is it going to have 2 engines or 4?

This, gonna needs to wait.

If one willing to speculate tho, for fuel efficiency, infra red signature reduction and acoustic, a high bypass engine would be preferrable, and considering subsonic speed. Something like PD-24 or if one went for extreme but i wonder about the inner volume constraint, PD-35.

Those engines, assuming 2 of those and B-2 like T/W ratio of about 0.2 will allow MTOW to be in order of 240-350 metric tonne.
Rumours put it like this:

- MTOW of 145-150t (smaller than B-2)
- 2 engines with close to 230 kN of thrust each
- 30t of payload
- range of 15000km

First flight is supposed to happen in 2023 (this is from official documentation)

Interesting information Acatomic. So the PAK-DA will be smaller than the B-2 in terms of Maximum Take Off Weight, and be able to carry 30 tonnes of payload and fly with a range of 15000km. I wonder how this compares to the existing Tu-160? Better or worse in terms of how much payload can be carried.

haavarla

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
So is it going to have 2 engines or 4?

This, gonna needs to wait.

If one willing to speculate tho, for fuel efficiency, infra red signature reduction and acoustic, a high bypass engine would be preferrable, and considering subsonic speed. Something like PD-24 or if one went for extreme but i wonder about the inner volume constraint, PD-35.

Those engines, assuming 2 of those and B-2 like T/W ratio of about 0.2 will allow MTOW to be in order of 240-350 metric tonne.
Rumours put it like this:

- MTOW of 145-150t (smaller than B-2)
- 2 engines with close to 230 kN of thrust each
- 30t of payload
- range of 15000km

First flight is supposed to happen in 2023 (this is from official documentation)

Interesting information Acatomic. So the PAK-DA will be smaller than the B-2 in terms of Maximum Take Off Weight, and be able to carry 30 tonnes of payload and fly with a range of 15000km. I wonder how this compares to the existing Tu-160? Better or worse in terms of how much payload can be carried.
Tu-160 payload is both mediocre and exellent!
Because you need to look at both payload ordinance and Fuel weight.

Tu-160 carry most of its MTOW in Fuel.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
Actually the thrust of two unaugmented Tu-160 engines would be almost perfectly in line with unaugmented F135s, and 30k pounds / 15 metric tons payload would be basically what the USAF is hinting at for B-21. I suspect the two machines will look very much alike, since the geometry of the original B-2 design (before the saw tooth, low altitude mod) is rather ideal for smallest number of reflecting angles and aerodynamic efficiency. I suspect H-20 will look exactly the same for the same reason. You only go cranked kite or something more complex shape wise if you are scaling smaller or going for superior kinetic performance. If you accept subsonic and bomber sized airframe as requirements, there isn't a better geometry for low RCS.

Last edited:

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hey if it ends up being bigger than the B-2 and the several orders of magnitude RCS reduction gets pulled up again kudos to them but I think that will be more against a lot of board users narratives regarding other stealth foreign projects ;)

Josh_TN

Reaction score
Low RCS should be much easier to achieve shape wise in a bomber that has lower maneuverability requirements. In fighters, the low RCS requirement runs up against other performance needs.