• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

P-8A Poseidon first flight

Creative

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a5bf2e8b3-e69c-4bf6-a7e0-75b5c1190847&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending

Attachments

• P-8A Poseidon first flight.jpg
    P-8A Poseidon first flight.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 77

CFE

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. Can't wait to see how it looks after it gets a fresh coat of paint.

CFE

Reaction score
Awesome pics. Thanks, Flateric. After seeing all of the lumps and antennas on the P-8, it's really scaring me away from building my Revell 737NG as a Poseidon.

CFE

Reaction score
In addition to Australia and Italy (I think they've already committed,) I would expect most P-3 users to sign on to P-8 at some point. As long as the ASW requirement exists, P-8 remains the best solution for replacing the P-3. (That's not to say it was the best choice for the MMA competition, but it's the only choice now.)

Thorvic

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
CFE said:
In addition to Australia and Italy (I think they've already committed,) I would expect most P-3 users to sign on to P-8 at some point. As long as the ASW requirement exists, P-8 remains the best solution for replacing the P-3. (That's not to say it was the best choice for the MMA competition, but it's the only choice now.)

Did you mean India, as they have already ordered the aircraft to replace their IL-38 May's. But i think Italy has expressed an interest if not an order, with similar EADS Airbus conversions now falling by the wayside.

G

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Boeing Unveils US Navy Paint Scheme for P-8A Poseidon

2009-05-05

The first painted P-8A Poseidon aircraft rolls out of the paint hangar at Boeing?s [NYSE: BA] Renton, Wash., facility, displaying its new U.S. Navy livery. The aircraft, designated T-2, is the third of five test aircraft being assembled and tested as part of the System Development and Demonstration contract that Boeing received in 2004. The first test aircraft, T-1, which successfully completed the program?s first flight on April 25, will be painted in the same gray paint scheme later this summer. T-2 was painted in late April. The Navy plans to purchase 108 P-8A anti-submarine warfare aircraft to replace its fleet of P-3Cs. Initial operational capability is planned for 2013. The P-8A is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems and GE Aviation.

Photo Credit: Boeing photo by Jim Anderson

Sea Skimmer

Reaction score
That is one ugly color of airplane, I wonder if that’s even the paint or just some kind of anti corrosion coating.

The P-8 might well pick up contracts even from people not particularly interested in anti submarine warfare. Nations are ever more concerned about maritime patrol for countering illegal immigration, drug running, protection of EEZs, piracy and other missions. For those roles the radar/SIGINT/FLIR package on the P-8 and the P-3 before it are very useful. From what I understand the systems on P-8 are all to be modular, and the US is offering foreign countries the option of either integrating custom systems or pick and choosing what US standard features the model they buy actually carries. That should help attract orders, and control costs.

TomS

Reaction score
Sea Skimmer said:
That is one ugly color of airplane, I wonder if that’s even the paint or just some kind of anti corrosion coating.

Are you talking about the early pics or the gloss white Navy paint scheme flateric posted? The early ones with the crazy metallic green are anti-corrosion coatings. The gloss white is a real paint job, and it looks pretty smart to me. Well suited to blending in at the commercial 737s at the planned forward operating sites for the P-8.

Sea Skimmer said:
The P-8 might well pick up contracts even from people not particularly interested in anti submarine warfare. Nations are ever more concerned about maritime patrol for countering illegal immigration, drug running, protection of EEZs, piracy and other missions. For those roles the radar/SIGINT/FLIR package on the P-8 and the P-3 before it are very useful. From what I understand the systems on P-8 are all to be modular, and the US is offering foreign countries the option of either integrating custom systems or pick and choosing what US standard features the model they buy actually carries. That should help attract orders, and control costs.

Possibly, but for anything less than the full up P-8 mission kit, this plane really is overkill. It's huge (and explensive) compared to the other MPA offerings on the market, and flying it half-empty just doesn't make that much sense, IMO. Sure, Indonesia has a trio of 737s with surveillance radar for maritime/EEZ patrol, but that wasn't emulated by anyone else. There are lots of more affordable solutions for the simple surface surveillance mission.

CFE

Reaction score
How will the P-8's loiter time compare to that of the P-3? I assume that the P-3 would have some advantage in this regard. Then again, the P-8's higher cruise speed will allow it to dash towards the area of interest in less time and respond to time-sensitive targets, so it's really a trade-off.

TomS

Reaction score
CFE said:
How will the P-8's loiter time compare to that of the P-3? I assume that the P-3 would have some advantage in this regard. Then again, the P-8's higher cruise speed will allow it to dash towards the area of interest in less time and respond to time-sensitive targets, so it's really a trade-off.

You might be surprised. Time on station for the P-8 is at least as good as the P-3 at realistic operational ranges from base. The brochure figure for the P-8 is 4 hours at 1200 nm, which compares pretty well to the 3 hours at 1300 nm book value for the P-3 (reduced now due to gross weight limits on the airframe). Plus, the P-8 can refuel in flight, which the P-3 cannot.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Speaking of the P-8, Australia is now formally on board:

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Fitzgibbontpl.cfm?CurrentId=9056

Regards,

Greg