• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Old AIR PROGRESS, 1957/1958 Edition

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This last weekend, I bought an old "Air Progress" at a swap meet. It's the 1957/1958 edition. However, upon opening it, I now know why it was only a dollar. The pages were crumbling to the touch as I tried to read them. So I'm laminating the pages.

The crumbly pages were quite distressing. But I like looking through it. It's a relic from a long gone era and the artwork by Matt Jeffries is a special treat, especially the three-views. Some other treats include:

-art from Northrop for a delta-winged nuke job meant to tow airliners, designed by Lee Ohlinger.
-art of a wingless VTOL arliner from Lippisch called the "Aerodyne". It's basically just a fuselage with a Coleopter intake at the tail.
-an article and drawings of the Coleopter

According to my brother, I should have just left the magazine as-is and bagged it up, due to the age and any possible collectible status.

But I wonder if I'm doing the right thing with the laminating or should I have just bagged it after all? Too late now, I guess.

Maybe I should have asked around here for input first. What do think, guys?

BTW- I don't have working scanner for the time being. Otherwise I'd post the stuff I just mentioned. Sorry guys.

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
art from Northrop for a delta-winged nuke job meant to tow airliners, designed by Lee Ohlinger.

It's a pity you don't have an scan.

The scan is the right tool to preserve all that unvaluable jewels. There are really economical and easy to use scanners. You can preserve the original scanning at 300 dpi and printing a readable copy from it. I'm doing that with my old magazine collection.

Regards,

Antonio

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
XP67_Moonbat said:
According to my brother, I should have just left the magazine as-is and bagged it up, due to the age and any possible collectible status.

Ebay has a 1956-57 copy with a "buy it now" price of twelve bucks. So a copy that is literally falling apart is almost certainly not a big collectors item. Laminating, if done safely, will keep the issue alive long enough for you to eventually scan it. If it's already decaying, it's unlikely to ever be a real collectors item.

Retrofit

Reaction score
XP67_Moonbat said:
-art of a wingless VTOL arliner from Lippisch called the "Aerodyne". It's basically just a fuselage with a Coleopter intake at the tail.

Moonbat, was it this one ?
Source: "Prof. Junkers nannte es "Die Fliege"" Hermann Pohlmann, 1983

Attachments

• Lippisch.jpg
    Lippisch.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 30