Oh Dear! Not Janes too!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I open my 3 March 2010 issue of Janes Defense Weekly to page 26 to read the lead article; "Proportionate force" about the increasing interest in turbo-prop COIN aircraft and lo-and-behold, there, on the lead page is a picture of the Stavatti Aerospace SM27T COIN platform. To my further surprise, on page 31 is two thirds of a page on the very same aircraft and company. I think to myself Oh Dear! Not Janes too!?!.

But then I think Not Janes! They are far more savy than this!

So I have to wonder is it a case of yet another aerospace writer realed in by the "too good to be true sexy picture" or is it possible that all us "armchair aerospace afficianado's" have been overly unfair to the challenges of a small group of maverick trying to find their way into the game.

I am still of the belief that it is a scam, but... ?

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Built they any hardware? Helped they (at least) during the design process of some real aircraft? Did anybody expressed any real/significant interest in their designs? If the answers sound like no-no-no-no-no-no-no, than we can formulate the final question:

Did the Stavatti Corp. do anything during their history, what deserves them some respect as the serious aircraft designers/manufacturers?

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
That's it. There is nothing sacred left. I don't want to live in a world where Stavatti gets some street cred. (Sound of door shutting followed by screeching tires and crash).

Machdiamond

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Jane's has always been open minded about startups and wannabe's, because on very rare occasions they make the cut. Good.
This story is different, Stavatti is not an aerospace concern but a case study in psychiatry and this is well known.
Jane's should have known better.
Shaking my head over this one. :-\
--Luc

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Journalists are fallible and magazines need filling. Press releases get turned into stories all the time. Janes are not exempt from this except in their innate conservatism. I've never found Janes a gold standard in journalism.

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
overscan said:
I've never found Janes a gold standard in journalism.

Same here. Jane's is excellent for quick reference on most ongoing programs, and pretty reliable when it comes to giving figures and data, but there have always been articles on aircraft and/or manufacturers that never materialized, and mistakes about versions that had not yet been clarified (notably—and understandably—on Soviet/Russian aircraft). Stavatti's being there, though disappointing, is clearly not a surprise. The real shock is that they featured it on the cover.

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net
It didn't quite make it to the cover, there's a funky picture of a Brazilian Super Tucano on that. I did have a Cox-esque rant in the office. Still, we'll find out in late 2010/early 2011 either way!

RP1

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Removed a couple of posts. I suggest we leave Stavatti alone for a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.