• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Of lobsters, yellow jackets, thermidor, and French politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here is a truly excellent one that is hardly believable.

So you may have heard (or not) that the French Minister of Ecology, François de Rugy, has just thrown the towel and resigned after a brief, major and violent scandal.

Let's reel back the whole thing...

It happened that De Rugy threw lavish dinners that included LOBSTERS, a pretty expensive meal, and in those days of Yellow Jackets riots, he was shot down in flames, Marie-Antoinette "La brioche" style.
He was bashed and burned and shot by the now-classic social media firestorm. What's more, people dug out giant inflatable lobsters (no kidding, send me ROTFLMAO) everywhere he go, until he resigned two days ago.
(yes, such things exist, on Amazon, of course. https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-GIANT-Lobster-Float-decorations/dp/B071D1RSTL ROTF )

Where it goes EXTRAORDINARILY FUNNY is that there is a famous french recipe of lobster called "Le homard THERMIDOR." (homard = lobster)

Now you may ask, what the heck is THERMIDOR ? Well, wikipedia has the answer, as usual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermidor

Thermidor was the second month of the summer quarter (mois d'été). It started July 19 or 20. It ended August 17 or 18.
Which exactly mean (drums rolling) that De Rugy resigned the first day in the MONTH OF THE LOBSTER. Invented by the yellow jacket rioters ancestors in 1790.

1328554698663.jpg

It is a french fellow prankster at the France Fights On forum that tell me that good one yesterday evening and it just made my night and my day. I'm actually laughing like an idiot typing this (trying to type, actually)

As the italians say in their own, unique way

se non è vero, è bene trovato

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Very good post. Light and funny as suited with any fine (political) cuisine..

Well served, thank you Archi.

Archibald

Reaction score
A total heartbreak...

(what is remarquable is "Homard Simpson" sounds very much like "Homer Simpson" except the coincidence was NOT intentional since, in english, homard is... lobster)

Maiwand1880

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The French parliament inquiry has shown that de Rugy's hospitality expenditures as a president of the national assembly were within rules. Only populists can't understand this. And at the same time they have lobster themselves: France imported or produced 35000 tonnes of it in 2017 and obviously not all of it landed on the table of the president of the national assembly... De Rugy's private home has been vandalised a few days ago. The so-called "yellow-jackets" are not heirs of the revolutionaries of 1789; they are extreme-right (or extreme-left, all the same), racist, antisemitic, narrow-minded, chauvinist and violent morons supported by Putin and Italian neo-fascists and living on social benefits for many of them. As shown by polling earlier this year, a vast majority of them believe in all kind of silly conspiracy theories, such a "zionist conspiracy to dominate the world". Like your previous "joke" a few years ago on Yehudi Menuhin, not really funny, and troubling.

Maiwand1880

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Archibald

Reaction score
Thank you. It really blew my mind, the coincidence. Too good to be true !!

Kudos (and copyright) to the "original prankster" - right here.

(Galgot if you want to register there, soit le bienvenu. Your talent as illustrator would be extremely welcome. But I know you are busy....)
could you check your grammar and spelling in French before posting?
After three posts like this, plus some previous idiocies toward myself, congrats, you've been IGNORED and REPORTED

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Ah. That might backfire.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Politics is always discouraged. Locked topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.