NPO Energiya Pody'om (Lift-off) system - pre-Energiya-Buran

That winged Energia is wild. Belly-to-belly would have been better I would think. The orbiter here is likely more Columbia style—powered ascent

In terms of evening everything out for a Buran-type orbiter..maybe have a saddle LOX tank opposite the Buran to keep the center of gravity.

This might detach with the engine block…leaving an all LH2 tank which would lend itself more easily to use as a wet workshop.

Winged LOX tank on one side—Buran on the other—and the hydrogen tank just a “drop tank” now.

Last edited:
Fantastic news, those projects documents.
Anyone knows if there is a site (from RGANTD) where we could check every new documents being released, and get access to them?
Maybe it is not available for anyone.
I have learned a lot, first from the Roscosmos magazine, but now you have got those from RLA projects, which I haven t seen yet from nowhere.
Thanks

This one's new to me!

"The third volume of the RCCP also examines preliminary assessments of the possible flight performance characteristics of the 2-stage reusable transport space system (MTKS-II). A distinctive feature of this launch system is the use of a reusable winged first stage."

Kind of a smooshed Martin SpaceMaster thing going on? LOVE IT.

Attachments

• 1974 - MTKS II 2.png
    1974 - MTKS II 2.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1974 - MTKS II 3.png
    1974 - MTKS II 3.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 145
For some obscure reason google fucker staunchly refuse to translate that page...

RLA-120 (1975).
the use of RD-57 on the sustainer stage is interesting!

The reusable "cost" are interesting, when adjusted for the official (lol) exchange rate and inflation, they are similar to the estimated internal cost of F9 ($1k-1.5k/kg, fun, but the difference of condition makes this meaningless

However they seem only moderate decrease (~30%) compared to some of the reported "cost" of Soyuz and Proton at the time (iirc, 2-2.5 Million Ruble for Soyuz, 5-6 for Proton), and the final Zenit never reached that target cost afaik, but it also never flew much