Not an aircraft - a modern take on the Porsche 550

Foo Fighter

Cum adolescunt hominem verum esse volo.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

It was interesting to see the aviation and other art produced by various members a while ago. I don't do many aircraft now and mostly draw in 3d too but tanks and cars mostly. I thought you might get a laugh at the latest project, a modern take on the Porsche 550 Speedster. Only WIP at the moment but might get a giggle or two.

Attachments

• Flat Four c 65 21p A Ir 0 a R.jpg
    Flat Four c 65 21p A Ir 0 a R.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 125
I am sorry if I am boring folk, it is difficult to get meaningful feedback. This project has been on the go for more than twenty years in various forms so it may have more importance to me than it should really have.

Attachments

• Flat Four c 68 20p A Ir 0 a R.jpg
    Flat Four c 68 20p A Ir 0 a R.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 107
G'day folks,

It was interesting to see the aviation and other art produced by various members a while ago. I don't do many aircraft now and mostly draw in 3d too but tanks and cars mostly. I thought you might get a laugh at the latest project, a modern take on the Porsche 550 Speedster. Only WIP at the moment but might get a giggle or two.

Steering wheel's on the wrong side. Minimal protection against rain, bird poop and roadside protesters. Those rear view mirror look kinda squinty.

I' m not into cars much, modern even less. But its nicely done.
Now true, if it's made for England (steering wheel), maybe some protection against rain...
What soft is that ?

No laughs to be had here, it's a nice little car and you should be more confident in your skills!

I could see it doing a time attack on a hillclimb ;)

Thanks folks, the 'mirrors' are camera and sensor housings, low drag but the same effect. I hope. Made for the UK in this instance so steering wheel on the 'right' side. Software used is Sketchup and Twilight pro V2 for the actual render.

G'day folks,

Hopefully I am not out of line, so here goes.

I tend not to laugh at other people's work, unless it was intended to be funny, especially if it is something I cannot do. I'm a one trick pony with the profiles I do.

I am sorry if I am boring folk, it is difficult to get meaningful feedback. This project has been on the go for more than twenty years in various forms so it may have more importance to me than it should really have.

First, I think if you want feedback you have to ask for it. Most people won't start tearing apart your work out of the blue because it may make them appear rude.

Second, your project should be important to you, otherwise why do it? While working on my profiles I stress over all the little details that make up the overall picture, but most likely very few people who look at the profile see the little details, as they see the “forest” and not the individual trees. But it is important to me that I do all of the details even if I am the only one that knows they are there. And that is OK.

So keep working on this as I would like to see the end result. So far so good.

Made for the UK in this instance ....

Then it needs to go in one of two ways:
1: Not near enough Nerf.
2: Alternatively... it needs the oil sprayers in the back, the "wing" machine guns, an ejector seat for the passenger and a deployable bulletproof shield.

.Made for the UK in this instance so steering wheel on the 'right' side.

Maybe Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia , India, Kenya, Thailand, Indonesia, South Africa and a few more.

I remember reading about a US Sports car racing driver who imported RHD sports cars and selected LHD for some circuits and RHD for others. He believed the weight distribution gave an advantage and in racing you take every bit you can get.

Made for the UK in this instance ....

Then it needs to go in one of two ways:
1: Not near enough Nerf.
2: Alternatively... it needs the oil sprayers in the back, the "wing" machine guns, an ejector seat for the passenger and a deployable bulletproof shield.
Sure its there, but its hidden... You would see it on a render with some Spectre Vilains chasing it

An Actual Issue: This, if I'm not mistaken, is to be some sort of "Sports Car." One of the primary purposes of such cars, beyond simply going fast, is to pick up members of the opposite sex. But in a design like this, the rich driver might have himself the most spectacular date ever... and she's sequestered from him. This is going to be a barren source of entertainment.

Thanks guys, the feedback I did not get was on another forum intended for car nuts. The central bar is removable, or will be when I get the geometry to do as it is told and there will be an alternative conventional windscreen with a nominal roof. The set up as is, is intended for track day use or one make racing.

Instead of oil I went with a dispenser for those triangular (mail( I meant NAIL)) setups used by some police/paramilitary forces to keep the Greens happy and as for machine guns thought of a laser armed drone to act as wingman. Especially useful in overtaking situations on road or track.

Last edited:
It's the eco-Batmoble!

Hack, ECO, damn I missed that trick darnit. Perhaps I should hyave gone for an 8 litre diesel instead of the flat 4? Sadly the F1 engines would not fit. Bleeping designer is hopeless......

Thanks very much for the feedback, it made my day. I got a laugh too which helps.

It's very pretty, I'll give you that, though I think the separate cockpits would be annoying in practice. Have you done a similar one with a single wrap around windscreen rather than two?

There is only one cockpit but there is a central and removable brace from the front to the rear of the cockpit and a road car windscreen with the removable roof. There is currently a 1.6 litre Boxer engine in the rear mid position.

They did build some big ol' barges did they not? Thanks, not seen that one.

Porsche launched their Boxster line in 1997, originally expecting it to have niche appeal mostly to old fogies who wanted a "cheap" (for a Porsche) modernized 550 Spyder feel in a café cruiser. As such, they originally offered a fiberglass body kit that added the individual headrest fairings, behind the individual rollbars. They also offered a dashboard control to bypass the muffler. The fairing kit blocked the convertible top lid, so it was only practical in southern California and other places with unreal weather.

I owned a '98, since sold and replaced with a later model. Regrettably I didn't buy that fairing module while it was available. Cars with it are rare and valuable.

If you strive for that 550 Spyder feel, you might want to research the early Boxsters for how Porsche themselves tackled the project, within the constraints of actual manufacturability and an original USA selling price of about $45K.