Reaction score
...found at eBay...

Attachments

• Northrop_Stinger_1951.jpg
    Northrop_Stinger_1951.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 566
well, I hope it's a bit of relief after you know what

well...'northrop', for example =)

is that an interceptor or an attack plane?

Looks large... Missile Armed Day Fighter request for study ?

pometablava said:

Mmmmhhh...

It looks like more an attack fighter rather than an interceptor.

First of all it miss any sort of radar, even primitive, in the thin nose.
Instead you may find two (at least it seems so) crew member in the highly windowed sleek nose.

Second, it fires some sort of HVAR missiles.
They looks too big to be really HVAR, but too small for other purposes.....

For comparison with two interceptors of that days, F 89 Scorpion had radar and HVAR missiles as also the F 92 Starfire.
Always at that times the F 102 development was started and it was forsee to carry big missiles like Falcons.

It kind of looks like a design created by Frankensteining some characteristics of the B-58, the F-4, and the F3H (although not exactly)

-B-58: Podded engines, tailless
-F4H/F-4: Twin fuselage mounted engines located under and ahead of the tailcone, highly-swept tail
-F3H/F-3: Fuselage Inlet is wrapped around the nose (The F-3 doesn't actually completely wrap around the nose, but it's kind of the same concept) using it as a centerbody, similar swept-wing

KJ

archipeppe said:
pometablava said:

For comparison with two interceptors of that days, F 89 Scorpion had radar and HVAR missiles as also the F 92 Starfire.

I am afraid both the F-89 and the F-94 carried not the HVARs (i.e. 5-inch air-to-ground rockets) but the FFARs - 70 mm air-to-air rockets. It is a significant difference.

Piotr

Petrus said:
I am afraid both the F-89 and the F-94 carried not the HVARs (i.e. 5-inch air-to-ground rockets) but the FFARs - 70 mm air-to-air rockets. It is a significant difference.
Piotr

Oh....you're right, I've mistaken HVAR with FFAR.

Sorry...

I have the strange presentiment that the Stinger is not a 'real' Northrop
project but an exercise of their illustrations department...

Hi

(sorry for my poor English)

archipeppe said:
Petrus said:
Piotr

Oh....you're right, I've mistaken HVAR with FFAR.

Sorry...

In fact, you aren't entirely wrong. Of course standard armament of F-89 Scorpion in "rocket" version was a 104 FFARs in two wingtip launchers. But for ground attack mission F-89 could carry additionally some bombs or 16 HVARs under the wings.

...Not to hijack the thread, but I've a question for those of you posting really faded blueprints or concept drawings? Is there a reason nobody throws the scans into Photoshop and tweaked the contrast a bit to make things a bit more legible? I submit the original image that started this thread as an example:

Attachments

• stinger_cleaned_up1.jpg
    stinger_cleaned_up1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 190
Orionblamblam said:
Finally got around to scanning it. Higher rez on my blog.

Scott, bunch of thanks for sharing.

Well, it gives us something extra to play with, right?

Attachments

• stingera1.jpg
    stingera1.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 244
...Looks like you took some time with that one, overscan. All I did just for demonstration purposes was a quick Auto-Contrast and some additional contrast tweaks. All in all about 1 minute max.

Not really, just using Levels and Highlight/Shadows in Photoshop. I started from Scott's scan though, not the first rubbish version :)

overscan said:
I started from Scott's scan though, not the first rubbish version :)

...That's what I used for the image to work with, that poor quality first one. The fact that I didn't see the SRBs crossing the streams probably should be a surprise, then ;D

OM said:
overscan said:
I started from Scott's scan though, not the first rubbish version :)

...That's what I used for the image to work with, that poor quality first one. The fact that I didn't see the SRBs crossing the streams probably should be a surprise, then ;D

Never cross the streams.
gb_pee-764695.jpg