Northrop N333/N336/N340 Dorsal inlet fighters - ATS / ATF / VATOL

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
several pics of Northrop 1978 strike aircraft (refered also as VATOL and Air-To-Surface Advanced Tactical Fighter Aircraft) with dorsal inlets (may be that one El was talking about)

Attachments

• Clipboard08.jpg
    Clipboard08.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,586
  • Clipboard09.jpg
    Clipboard09.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • Clipboard10.jpg
    Clipboard10.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,339
Northrop 1978 'Advanced Tactical Fighter Candidate Aircraft'
Again, remember that term ATF in 1978 meant a little bit different that it was in '81 or '85.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,378
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 547
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 542
Indeed - early studies focussed on air-to-ground, like the study just posted.

flateric said:
Northrop 1978 'Advanced Tactical Fighter Candidate Aircraft'
Again, remember that term ATF in 1978 meant a little bit different that it was in '81 or '85.

What's interesting about these is that it shows a concept Northrop originated, proved in the wind tunnel, but which hasn't shown up, as far as I know, in Real World designs. I refer to the use of dorsal inlets with a careful tailoring of the airframe in front of them to ensure good airflow even at high AOA. To the best of my knowledge, no company besides Northrop ever looked intently at this concept.

Saab did a lot of work on a dorsal inlet configuration in the Saab JAS-39 Gripen program, but it was felt to be too risky.

overscan said:
Saab did a lot of work on a dorsal inlet configuration in the Saab JAS-39 Gripen program, but it was felt to be too risky.

A dorsal inlet works well if you locate it in roughly the same vicinity as the cockpit of a manned aircraft.

If anyone doesn't care to believe me, I would refer them to the design of nearly every current UCAV demonstrator.

overscan said:

Northrop did a lot of studying on dorsal inlets, including tunnel time, and did find a way to make aft-plaeced dorsal inlets quite efficient even at high angles of attack. I remember seeing the papers in the AIAA Journal of Aeronautics back in the late 70s/early 80s; then all references disappeared. It does make you wonder.

The Saab design had good high AOA performance too. The main objections were difficulty of placing a second seat without disrupting airflow into the inlet, and possible problems with combined high AOA and yaw.

elmayerle said:
overscan said:

Northrop did a lot of studying on dorsal inlets, including tunnel time, and did find a way to make aft-plaeced dorsal inlets quite efficient even at high angles of attack. I remember seeing the papers in the AIAA Journal of Aeronautics back in the late 70s/early 80s; then all references disappeared. It does make you wonder.
Considering the dorsal inlets offer advantages in lowering the overall RCS of an aircraft, it's likely that that work had enough of an impact on stealth aircraft design they got sucked into the "black world".......

more VATOL/HOTOL stuff

Attachments

• Northrop 1978 VATOL.jpg
    Northrop 1978 VATOL.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 508
Picture via forum member elider.

Looks like a colour version of the "ATS" design picture from the last page with dorsal intakes, possibly from AWST.

Attachments

• northrop-fixed.jpg
    northrop-fixed.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 852
Another pic of the dorsal inlet VATOL Northrop design, 1981 AIAA paper.

[Removed - better copy below - Admin]

Attachments

• Northrop-VATOL-1.jpg
    Northrop-VATOL-1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 548
  • Northrop-VATOL-2.jpg
    Northrop-VATOL-2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Northrop-VATOL-3.jpg
    Northrop-VATOL-3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Northrop-VATOL-4.jpg
    Northrop-VATOL-4.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 323
Inlet and Airframe Compatibility for a V/STOL Fighter/Attack Aircraft with Top-Mounted Inlets
D. A. Durston and D. B. Smeltzer

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Top-Mounted Inlet Performance for a V/STOL Fighter/Attack Aircraft Configuration
Donald B. Smeltzer

Attachments

• 1987.JPG
    1987.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,312
Flateric, I was wondering if the report you were able to get the line drawings of the ATS design from, as shown on page two of this thread, had any info on it's dimensions or performance figures or if it was just a generic report?

Top Mounted Inlet System Feasibility for Transonic-Supersonic Fighter Aircraft
T. L. Williams, W. P. Nelms and D. Smeltzer

Consolidating posts into a topic. Note - some of the later NASA studies appear to be NASA only tests repurposing the existing VATOL model to investigate top mounted inlets so aren't necessarily "Northrop" any more.

Found on hard drive - source unknown. Was terribly scanned, have done some filtering in GIMP to save the image.

Attachments

• vatol.jpg
    vatol.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 998
Courtesy BillRo. Note twin vertical tails.

Attachments

• HATOL.jpg
    HATOL.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 803
Wow, love the Hatol version. Note, it also has a two man crew and what appears to be 2D nozzles.

overscan said:
Found on hard drive - source unknown. Was terribly scanned, have done some filtering in GIMP to save the image.

BillRo posted elsewhere the model in the attached picture below as being POSSIBLY an "N-344".
However it seems to me like the exact same proposal. What do others think?
If it's the case, then the design is the N-338-12, as clearly stated on the tail fin in the above artwork (see detail attached).
I suspect "N-338" applied to the whole VATOL project.

Attachments

• N-338-12.jpg
    N-338-12.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 473
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 479
The picture of the model is the ATS, which isn't the same as the VATOL. It's similar because it was developed in the about the same time frame and I think the ATS design may have actually pre-dated the VATOL design.

The reason I said "possibly N344" is because on the original 8X10 I can almost read the placard on the model stand. Actually N344-14 and the -14 is readable but it could be N 338-14, a minor variation. Pic is from 1982.

As a point of interest I was responsible for the book listing the N3XX project #s for a few years. The numbers were issued for unique designs. If a project (say VATOL) needed more than one unique configuration they would receive different numbers. As they evolved and developed they would get a new -# for significant changes as long as they were basically the same design. For instance a two-place version would be a different -# or two tails vs one would warrant a new -#. Wish I had made a copy for history - it went back a few years.

Sundog said:
The picture of the model is the ATS, which isn't the same as the VATOL. It's similar because it was developed in the about the same time frame and I think the ATS design may have actually pre-dated the VATOL design.

What exactly makes you say that "ATS" and "VATOL" refer to different projects? I have seen nothing in this topic to that effect.
To me, "ATS" may be the name of that particular Navy program, while VATOL just describes a general configuration (like VTOL, VSTOL, CTOL, etc.).

Stargazer2006 said:
Sundog said:

What exactly makes you say that "ATS" and "VATOL" refer to different projects? I have seen nothing in this topic to that effect.
To me, "ATS" may be the name of that particular Navy program, while VATOL just describes a general configuration (like VTOL, VSTOL, CTOL, etc.).

They do have similar inlets/propulsion system layouts, but the wing/strake designs are a very different and the ATS has the horizontal tail. I'm not saying they're unrelated, but the differences to me seem large enough that it would warrant a different model number and not just a different dash number.

Of course, I base that on the model pic and the artists renderings we have posted here at the forums and the fact that the ATS was for the USAF, not the Navy. If we ever see good drawings for it, then we should be able to tell a lot, but those would probably have the model number on them anyway. ;) I guess we can hope that maybe Bill knows someone who has a copy of the model number book, besides N-G. Although, I think I'm experiencing sensory overload from everything Bill has posted over these past couple of weeks. I'm still pinching myself. :D

overscan said:

Interestingly, this illustration was published in West German magazine FLUG REVUE 3/1981 (p90) too. The artist is Harlan Krug - name sounds German ??? .

Attachments

• vatol.jpg
    vatol.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,408
The drawing in

ppears to show the VATOL design to be N336-12.

They are two different designs as Sundog notes. ATS was an Air Force program focused on Air-To-Surface roles, while the VATOL was designed to a Navy requirement for vertical takeoff. Clearly they share many features which is why they are one topic, but they aren't identical.

Attachments

• VATOL.jpg
    VATOL.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,220
  • VATOL-GA.jpg
    VATOL-GA.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 1,965
Last edited:
Inboard profile from same PDF appears to depict N336-7

Attachments

• VATOL-Inboard.jpg
    VATOL-Inboard.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 1,908
Interestingly the PDF includes references to model tests of an earlier advanced fighter configuration:

7. Kantos, E. G., "Data Report of a 2.7 percent Scale Advanced Fighter Configuration Transonic Wind Tunnel Test", NAL-171 (NOR 77-037), February 1977.

8. Dawson, R. A. , "Data Report of a 2.7 percent Scale Advanced Fighter Configuration Transonic Wind Tunnel Test, Second Entry", NAL-180 (NOR 77-52), April 1977.

9. Franco, B. G. and Kontos, E. G., "Data Report of a 2.7 percent Scale Advanced Fighter Configuration Subsonic Wind Tunnel Test, First Entry", NAL-192 (NOR 77-108), July 1977.

10. Franco, B. G., "Data Report of a 10 percent N340 Fighter Configuration, Subsonic Wind Tunnel Test, First Entry", NAL-204 (NOR 77-141), December 1977.

If BillRo could scan the relevant original photo it will probably be possible to see if its N340.

Thanks for the help, Paul.

As for Harlan Krug, a quick web search produced a Northrop F-5 painting from 1971, which could indicate that he was an inhouse illustrator for that company in the 1970s.

Harlan Krug was I think the head graphics artist and often his paintings were signed. I have an original signed watercolor of the F-18L. Among the other artists was Bob Peck and you can recognize his work by the "impressionist" style with the splashes of color. Their work was not usually signed unless it was a big high quality painting like that F-5E for sale.
I don't believe I have a print of Tom Wier's Navy design shown above.

A slightly different version of the ATS picture shown in this topic's second post:

Attachments

• VATOL.jpg
    VATOL.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 894
Back
Top Bottom