Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton (BAMS)

Did you even read the article?
A truly odd reaction to Germany deciding to go with a converted business jet instead of a UAV for a signal intelligence mission because the UAV wasn’t meeting their requirements as they had expected it to do so (and likely the UAV considerably more expensive than initially projected).
Zero to do with China or whatever unrelated nonsense you are “contributing”.

It's not an odd reaction, it's a reaction to a trend with Germany (trending down).

Did you even read the article?
A truly odd reaction to Germany deciding to go with a converted business jet instead of a UAV for a signal intelligence mission because the UAV wasn’t meeting their requirements as they had expected it to do so (and likely the UAV considerably more expensive than initially projected).
Zero to do with China or whatever unrelated nonsense you are “contributing”.

It's not an odd reaction, it's a reaction to a trend with Germany (trending down).

Your comments is both irrelevant to this topic and factually wrong.

For example;

Potentially interesting book:

B092ZYK3FM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

It's OK...but incomplete. You have to understand that the basic RQ-4 is neither a Northrop nor a Grumman product. It's a Teledyne Ryan aircraft - and NGC has never quite understood it. Not to mention leaving out most of the Global Hawk Maritime Demonstration (later BAMS-D) program...which solved a bushel of operational and tactical issues, got sent to CENTCOM on a 6-month deployment...and came back thirteen years and five months later.

Northrop+Grumman+Connects+Distributed+Platforms+Across+Domains.jpg

As I once again winced at the acronym some office-bound DoN paper-pusher created for this program, I find myself compelled to bare my conscience.

Back in the 1980s (35-40 years ago) any active-duty Marine would immediately think "female sea-soldier" when seeing "BAMs".

That, in Marine slang, rudely (and politically-incorrectly in today's world) meant "Broad-Assed Marines".

Rather than "Broad-Area Maritime Surveillance".

The term was frowned-upon even then... and rarely used except (paradoxically) either derogatorily to refer to women Marines who acted in ways deemed unprofessional (like turning on the sex appeal to gain favorable treatment from superiors, or claiming sex-based discrimination at every chance, whether actual or imagined) - or playfully, the same way close friends or relatives insult and needle each other as a sign of affection.

Last edited: