• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Probably just testing IR coatings rather than visual signature reduction.
There has been some speculation that perhaps a laser is being tested and that an optionally manned mirrored target would be the most cost effective way of testing that. But IR coating test seems most likely.

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There has been some speculation that perhaps a laser is being tested and that an optionally manned mirrored target would be the most cost effective way of testing that.
Lold

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
That would be some really good news if the program seemed successfully mature that even token amounts of funds were moved to production. I don't track the finances of projects at different stages of their development well, but I suspect there are people here that do. That step seems...a little unprecedented in the modern age of US defense programs. Is this just some accounting slay of hand that typically happens?

_Del_

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Probably helps getting subs lined up. Particularly those smaller ones who might be stressed right now. If you have small subs feeling the crunch right now, then it's better to start getting money for lead items now rather than wait and have one or more go under and then have to line up a new plan on the fly and face potential delays.
Hope springs eternal that maybe they'll be ahead of track, but I think it's probably more risk-avoidance.