North American P-51 Mustang

T-6 Texan repainted in a P-51 Mustang scheme

201027-F-ZZ999-001.JPG

To bad we will not be able to afford to do that with all of the T-6. Would be a wonderful way to make young pilots feel that they are a part of a long line of airmen, stretching back into the time of fable.

Last edited:
What's funny is that putting a villain on the nose of your airplane? Non-controvercial. But put the "Punisher" skull-logo there? Or semi-nekkid hot chicks? Hoo boy, watch out...
… or a mostly nakkid dude (?).

What's funny is that putting a villain on the nose of your airplane? Non-controvercial. But put the "Punisher" skull-logo there? Or semi-nekkid hot chicks? Hoo boy, watch out...
… or a mostly nakkid dude (?).
Hey, why not, if that's the pilots thing. I never understood the logic behind "let's not put spicy pics on this machine designed to drop flaming hot murderballs onto the enemy that we want to exterminate."

Depending on where the plane is stationed, and if you can get "active camouflage," something like this might be entertaining to slap onto your ground attack aircraft:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnQDDT2ryc

Probably moving a wee bit beyond the topic though.

I feel like you should not worry too much, those guys prove the legacy is strong:

Or this; F-15s adorned with 56th FG P-47 markings for the D-Day anniversary last year. This photo was taken just outside of Ste Mere Eglise, France during the Overlord commemorations.

Attachments

• F-15s.jpg
    F-15s.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 33

T-6 Texan repainted in a P-51 Mustang scheme

201027-F-ZZ999-001.JPG

Oooh that sweeet ! I have for a very long time thought, the present day closest aircraft from a P-51 or a Spitfire, was a Tucano and all its siblings.

... well this proves my point. We french should do that, too: painting PC-21s as D-520s...

Archibald, your D.520 painted PC-21 has to be with the red and yellow Vichy markings!

Not likely. The Vichy régime is not a source of pride and commemorations in France.
Even during François Mitterand's time, himself a product of that régime and a diehard protector of the Gestapo Kollabos like Papon, public opinion always kept contempt for that administration.

Now, a FFI plane would be much more palatable. Even if admitedly less colorful.
Dewoitine D-520 FFI Tarbes, Cne Clicquet, 'corps franc Pomies'  1 stripes 1944-08.jpg

There was a decent number of D520s in service before the fall of france....