Nikitin PSN-1 and PSN-2

Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In the book Tupolev:The Man and his Aircraft, there is the photo shown here, attached to a ANT-6. The caption says it is a suicide flying torpedo. Maybe I missed it here in the forum, but, anyone have any information on this aircraft/weapon? :eek:

Attachments

• russian_suicide_torpedo_plane.jpg
    russian_suicide_torpedo_plane.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 628
A planing bottom and auxiliary floats would have been quite
useless for a suicide weapon, I think ! Or does the photo just
show a training version ? ???

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the floats were there on the prototype for recovery purposes? Maybe it was to have some form of propulsion so it could launch on its own from the water?

Not sure! I hadn't heard of the Soviets producing a dedicated suicide weapon like this. Maybe the author was mistaken?

Jemiba said:
A planing bottom and auxiliary floats would have been quite
useless for a suicide weapon, I think ! Or does the photo just
show a training version ? ???

Maybe it was just a suicidal aircraft. Designed for recovery, but suvival unexpected. If you're guiding a torpedo in to, say, a battleship, you've got to get pretty close... and to get away, you need to hit full throttle and bank the hell away ASAP. This thing didn't have that option. Chances are good it'd follow the torpedo right on in to the target, or pretty close to it.

No, it was not cuicide aircraft = it was so called "Plantorpeda" (gliding torpedo).
I need some time to find in my archieve some photoes and drawings if somebody need them

Ah! Yes, I'm sure we would be most interested in getting the real deal on this project. Cheers!

ucon said:
No, it was not cuicide aircraft = it was so called "Plantorpeda" (gliding torpedo).
I need some time to find in my archieve some photoes and drawings if somebody need them

Nikitin PSN-1 see pages 143-144 of Soviet X-Planes by Yefim Gordon & Bill Gunston, Midland Publishing 2000.

post1
More information a little later (it is necessary time for translation )
Sources: G.Petrov "Seaplanes of Russia 1910-1999"
"Aeromuseum" mag. 1/91
"Aviation & Cosmonautic" #15/96

Attachments

• on lake Il'men.jpg
    on lake Il'men.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
  • PT #3.jpg
    PT #3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 138
  • pt.jpg
    pt.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 152
  • PT#3; #6.jpg
    PT#3; #6.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 466
  • PSN with automatic pilot.jpg
    PSN with automatic pilot.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 488
  • PSN-2.jpg
    PSN-2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 500
  • PSN 3v.jpg
    PSN 3v.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 504
post 2
1) PSN-2
2) PSN-2 twin-boom variant
3) DPT tailless project S.Valk
4-5) MP (sea-suspended by Mikhelson)

Attachments

• MP..jpg
    MP..jpg
    42 KB · Views: 153
  • MP.jpg
    MP.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DPT.jpg
    DPT.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 121
  • PSN-2 tw.-boom var..jpg
    PSN-2 tw.-boom var..jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 117
  • PSN 2.jpg
    PSN 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 132
Hi Anatolyi :),

excellent as usual. I believe this project was intended not to be manhandled, but ultimately used as a missile. An infrared target seeking device, the "Kvant" was, if I remember properly, to be employed.

In the early 30's principle flying torpedo (PT) to base its project on a Soviet design engineer Solomon Valk.
He proposed to make planning a torpedo at the target with the help of radio or infrared rays. Valk explained his idea of the following reasons: inability to detect PT sound opponent because of the silence of its flight, as well as the difficulty of intercepting enemy torpedo fighters because of its small.
Work on the project began in 1933 in the Research Institute of the maritime communications (NIMIS), specially created for this purpose laboratory N22.
Board of Maritime Forces (UMC), the Red Army recommended that the following designation of different types of flying torpedoes:

a) for non-motorized planning torpedoes with a range of 30-50 km - DPT (long-range planning to torpedo), the code "Wolf";

b) equipped with an engine (conventional piston or rocket) with a range of 100-200 km - LTDTs (flying torpedo range);

c) for non-motorized PT on a hard tug - BMP (mine sailplane tow), the code "Aper/wild boar/Vepr.

As the media have a serial TB-3. Glider separated from him at a distance of 30-50km from the target, gliding , let torpedo and sat on the water.
Having said that, and offered the option of return airframe of the aircraft carrier.
Presentation method, which can be called a "console": PT for admission is attached to the aircraft-uterine end (console), a part of one of its planes with a special device (frame, truss), associated with the landing gear of aircraft.
Another option is the return of the airframe was proposed at a later date. In particular, it set him on a motor that actually turns it into a suspended torpedo- carrier.
In 1937-38 commissioned a small series of unmanned PT marked PSN (sailplane special purpose), but in March 1938 because of repression, all work stopped ...
In late 1938, S. Valk together with N.Nikitin proposed to float two options: single-fuselage and twin-boom. Jun 12, 1939 it was decided to build only the first option set to floats additional fins to increase the stability of the track.
The carrier of TB-3 (AM-34) but with a new special hard-points, in the future DB-3/Il-4 or TB-7/Pe-8.
Basic information glider PSN-2 (DPT) Designer Valk / Nikitin are: length 7980 mm, height 2800 mm to float, wing span 7000 mm Wing area 9,47 m2, float length 5040 mm, max speed 700 km / h (with rocket engine)range Use of up to 40 km.
The cockpit as the PSN-1, provided only for the test sample and was in the nose of the fuselage.
The project torpedo type "flying wing" in two variants: a manned - Trainer- empirical/ experiential full automation (PPT) and the drone with a full automatic (BPT). By early 1940, a draft of Unmanned flying torpedoes with a range of 100 km and above, with a flight speed of 700 km / h under the DB-3 aircraft. In the future, Valk assume rocket engine ... but July 19, 1940 order of the Navy minister Kuznetsov stopped all work at the factory N379.

Besides these projects in 1934 also suggested that R. Nirenberg and V. Vahmistrov (having experience in the aircraft-carriers), they are encouraged to apply aerotorpedy (draft MAI), leading acoustic direction finder.
In 1936 the designers Mikhelson N. and A. Morschihin suspension designed flying boat MP, torpedo bear in the semi-retracted position under the head. After the attack MP alone returned to base. Since the axis of the screw is very close to the water, then planting the whole engine is turned, the screw lift up. In 1938 the aircraft was built, but not tested.

A few words about the system beam-lead of torpedoes. Previously mentioned that the PT had by infrared beam-lead. For this purpose, TB-3 was equipped with a special revolving frame on which the three infrared searchlight. This system received the designation of "Kvant".

Curiously, some of the documents found in the name of "man-torpedo." It is actively used in 1936, long before Kayten and kamikazes in Japan. I think this does not mean that the USSR planned to use suicide pilots.

A lot of information (by G. Petrov) here -http://eroplan.boom.ru/planes/torp/index.htm
but unfortunately only in Russian.

Great!!
Thanks for sharing this otherwise unknown birds. Soviet aviation still have a lot of gems to be dugged up.

From Kryl'ya Rodine 12/2005,

here is a good drawings to Nikitin PSN-1 and PSN-2.

Also is there any drawing to LTDD (long-range flying torpedo) ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.png
    2.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.png
    3.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 125
I hope they are good finds because as Wurger said above "Soviet aviation still has many gems to unearth". So the engineer Solomon Valk among his projects there were other variants less known to the general public notably a pilotless bomb and another glide torpedo.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 55
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 47
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 67
I hope they are good finds because as Wurger said above "Soviet aviation still has many gems to unearth". So the engineer Solomon Valk among his projects there were other variants less known to the general public notably a pilotless bomb and another glide torpedo.

What is your source Klem ?.

A book in Russian, too bad I don't know Russian because there are more details in it, maybe the Russian speaking members could do the necessary to know more about Valk's work.

Attachments

• sov.jpg
    sov.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom