New Stealth...............Motorcycle??

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Being tested by SOCOM at the moment;

As if the government wasn't sneaky enough already! Zero Motorcycles has created a stealth motorcycle for use by U.S. Special Operations Forces: The MMX. The all-electric off-roader features a nearly silent powertrain, full blackout capability, wiring for infrared lighting systems and a keyless ignition for quick starts. "It was a very rewarding experience for the Zero team to go through such an exacting development process. The military needed a very specific set of core features on the MMX, and we were incredibly thankful to work side-by-side with them to deliver such a unique product," said Abe Askenazi, Chief Technology Officer for Zero Motorcycles. Matte black paint completes its low profile look, and with no intake or exhaust to worry about, the bike can operate when submerged up to one meter. A pair of modular batteries provides more than two-hours of riding per charge and can be swapped out for fresh packs in a matter of moments. A fleet of the bikes is currently being evaluated under operation conditions.
2013 Zero MMX Military Motorcycle – Key Features
  • Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
  • Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
  • Modular and quick-swappable power packs
  • Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
  • Switchable headlight for night-time stealth
  • Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
  • Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
  • Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
  • Tie down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap

Attachments

• Zero-Motorcycles-MMX.jpg
    Zero-Motorcycles-MMX.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 118
I used to ride an ex-army Armstrong motorcycle, it was coated in some thick green paint that went copper-coloured if you scratched it, and didn't show up on any civilian radar (speed detectors) that got pointed at it. The engine covers are magnesium (I have a civilian version of the same engine, they are aluminium on that) and the negative pole of the electrics earths to a tiny metal plate under the seat, not to the frame as is usual. Also the kill switch kills every light on the bike, not the engine. Although it's a conventional 500cc 4-stroke, the original exhaust was surprisingly quiet, as I discovered when off-roading, in forest it was almost inaudible at 100 meters.

All this to point out that if they could do that much "stealth" with an 80's vintage trailbike, they should be able to do far more with an electric vehicle today, and the top models from Zero are getting quite tempting, even for a "conventional" motorcylist like myself.