• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

New mini-torpedo for USN?

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
It mentions the diameter is 6 3/4" and that part of the contract is an update to the external counter measures launchers on USN boats - I thought those were 6.25"? But I'm assuming that it is a typo and that the intent is to have a weapon that can fix inside existing countermeasure tubes as an option against miget submarines and USVs, and potentially as a hard kill torpedo countermeasure. The warhead would be to small to be effect against most SSKs.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Looking at the warhead it appears to have a 2-stage warhead, with a shaped-charge precursor and a blast follow up.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
Looking more carefully I see what you mean. I didn't see the forward section; there seems to be some kind of electronics between the primary and secondary warheads. It still wouldn't be that much boom for a full sized sub target, but it probably would hurt enough to to wreck the hydrodynamics and flood a compartment/section.

sferrin

Reaction score
Looking more carefully I see what you mean. I didn't see the forward section; there seems to be some kind of electronics between the primary and secondary warheads. It still wouldn't be that much boom for a full sized sub target, but it probably would hurt enough to to wreck the hydrodynamics and flood a compartment/section.
I wouldn't think it an antisub weapon either FWIW. If a sub was close enough to use it on you've probably got a 21 torpedo or antiship missile headed your way.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
I suspect it would only be used in that fashion if nothing else was ready to fire. I think the main target set is future USVs, with an eye to being a hard torpedo countermeasure some time in the future. The defending boat would probably have to have a TMA on the incoming fish for that to be remotely feasible, so I'm not sure how practical that is given the failure of the system on the Nimitz class.

sferrin

Reaction score
I suspect it would only be used in that fashion if nothing else was ready to fire. I think the main target set is future USVs, with an eye to being a hard torpedo countermeasure some time in the future. The defending boat would probably have to have a TMA on the incoming fish for that to be remotely feasible, so I'm not sure how practical that is given the failure of the system on the Nimitz class.
Depends why it failed. (Or if it failed. We just know they got rid of it.)