New Books

I thinks this is time to stop posting from Lost Fighter's book, because I'm beginning to feel that we are starting to violate laws of copyright too much. I've made own opinion - I've spent too much money for a book. It has obvious flaws, few jewels in a sea of well-known facts. If book were offered for say, 10 or 15 bucks, its purchase could be reasonable, but for 49.95 (well, 39.95 if you are a SAE mamber) is a unsmart investition. If I could see it's contents before like Amazom allows with 'See it inside' trick, I'd never buy it. Again, I have nothing personal against Mr.Holder, I have a plenty of his books from Schiffer Publishing that has many good illustrative materials (commonly, these are rare for me companies PR illustratiuons). Moreower, I don't think that Mr.Holder draw a pricetag for his book, it was done by SAE - and remembering, that AIAA wants 25 bucks for every AIAA paper from their site (even if it's 3-page scan fron xerox where you can see just blind black spots instead of photographs due to the copy weird quality), it's not the highest price they could want.

and remembering, that AIAA wants 25 bucks for every AIAA paper from their site (even if it's 3-page scan fron xerox where you can see just blind black spots instead of photographs due to the copy weird quality),
Right, and occasionally they take the money and never deliver.... :mad:

Maybe the last one...
The illustration with the 2 so called F-100B (chin intake)
is also published in 'Le Moniteur de L'Aeronautique -juin 1978 '
but they are labelled NA-211...

flateric,

There is a rumour on a forthcoming Polygon title regarding Bartini. Can you confirm this?

Best regards,
Thomas

Will ask them after our prolongated holodays, say, after january, 9

No hurry, flateric. Please keep an eye on it.

Thanks.
Thomas

Found a copy of an English translation of Guderian's Mit Den Panzern In Ost Und West. It's definately biased towards the German side of WWII as it is a reprinting of letters and journal entries and the like from troops involved in the Blitzkriegs, but it is a very interesting and worthwhile read nonetheless. Found it at Barnes & Noble for $5.95 in the sale section. If you want more on German panzer tactics and operations in WWI and WWII, Guderian's other books, Panzer Leader and Achtung Panzer! are definitely must reads.

Well, good one...
https://oscommerce.darcorp.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=678528d530c973fb5368b57e72ed0fd9

Roskam's Airplane War Stories $42.00
Dr. Jan Roskam • ISBN13: 9781884885570 • Softbound • 304 pgs • Limited Edition: 2002

Roskam's Airplane War Stories represents an overview of Dr. Jan Roskam’s life experiences as an airplane designer, a teacher and a sometimes pilot. The majority of these stories are based on actual events that happened in the design and development of aircraft programs, many of which (but not all) he was associated with.

Students have always enjoyed hearing Dr. Jan Roskam tell these great airplane stories that have not-so-great endings. By popular demand, Dr. Roskam has compiled these fascinating tales into the recently released book, "Roskam's Airplane War Stories".

These "war stories" became Dr. Roskam's professional autobiography. He has recorded these along with personal memories and observations from various aircraft programs: 24 which made it into flight and 12 that never got beyond the drawing board. He also had the opportunity to pilot 38 different types of airplanes • Many pictures of these airplanes are included at the end of each chapter.

During Jan Roskam’s regular classes, as well as during his short courses, he illustrates the material with a large number of what he calls “war stories.” Most of these stories directly involve certain airplanes.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Dr. Jan Roskam has authored eleven textbooks on airplane flight dynamics and airplane design. He is the author of more than 160 papers on these topics. Dr. Roskam retired as the Ackers Distinguished Professor of Aerospace Engineering at The University of Kansas, where he taught airplane design, stability and control, in December 2003. He has actively participated in more than 36 major airplane programs

Attachments

• airplanewarstories.jpg
    airplanewarstories.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
Anyone read his book on Hypersonics?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Secret-Projects-Hypersonics-Missiles/dp/1857802586/ref=sr_1_1/202-5879426-6739829?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184930019&sr=1-1

Erm, its not out yet.

Of course I've already read the new Harry Potter book before release, but (much as I might wish it otherwise) the Secret Projects series don't get quite the same level of hype and interest ;)

Paul.

devi said:
From the book the American Naval Fighters to me interestingly following projects:
Douglas D-592
Grumman Type 97(G-97)

and one more question:
Competition on a Fighter with the mixed power-plant.
9 manufacturers:
1) Ryan Model 28-----XFR-1 (FR-1 "Fireball")
2) Grumman Type 57(G-57)
3) ? ?
4) ? ?
5) ? ?
6) ? ?
7) ? ?
8) ? ?
9) ? ?

I found that project to Bell and designed by Randolph Hall as
mixed powered fighter,and may be it was submitted to this
competition.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=AidxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=randolph+hall+airplane&num=100

Attachments

• Bell fighter.JPG
    Bell fighter.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 122