New Battery Technologies

Foo Fighter

Cum adolescunt hominem verum esse volo.
Reaction score
G'day, There is a lot of snippets of information but independent facts seem to be few and far between. Is there a particular information source for batteries using little or no exotic materials/metals?

Very good, haha. I was looking for serious technology answers but a laugh a day does work. There was a Japanese tech guy promoting an iron gas battery that could be recycled simply. Also a lot of talk about graphene but it is short in nature and short on facts. If there are any facts out there I have failed to find them so pointers would be appreciated.

Some of the solid-state battery technology is looking interesting - especially when you see goals of their providing potentials for 500mile range and 1 minute recharging for electric vehicles.

Agreed but then there has been no information on the materials used so far, what type of materials would be needed for the terminals? Graphene could do the job if sufficiently developed but that seems not to be the case yet and the best conductor I know is still gold.

Nickel-Iron Storage batteries:

What was old is new again...

Last edited:
It appears competition is limiting what can be said. Also, certain technologies need to be profitable immediately. Once the current health crisis eases, expect more announcements. Also, expect the infrastructure to magically appear for charging these batteries, at least in the US, since the current health crisis is already yielding to the climate change crisis.

Tesla's Million Mile Battery is ready for production as of June last year.

And, of course, investors need to be convinced to invest.

There was quite a bit of news recently about solid state batteries including this.

A UK-based consortium of seven organisations including Oxford University has banded together to develop prototypes of solid-state battery (SSB) technology with the automotive sector in mind.

Early deployment of SSBs is expected to be in consumer electronics, niche automotive applications and unmanned aerospace, before being used in broader EV markets.

The Faraday Institution forecasts that, in 2030, SSBs are likely to take a 7 per cent share of the global consumer electronics battery market and a 4 per cent share of the EV battery market.

Global SSB revenues from sales to EV manufacturers are forecast to reach $8bn by 2030 and then grow rapidly to 2040 and 2050 when the market is expected to become extensive.

Low temperature battery tech may be more useful

Related news

Wood sensors?

I'll add this since the article mentioned requires a subscription. Meanwhile, lithium mine stocks will fall on Wall Street.

I'll add this since the article mentioned requires a subscription. Meanwhile, lithium mine stocks will fall on Wall Street.

Why, is there a problem with lithium supply?

Article headline from today's The Street:

"With EVs on the Rise, It's a Great Time to Dig Into Small Lithium Outfits​

"But you'll need to do an extra level of due diligence to account for the high likelihood that some will flat-out fail to grow."​

Ray-O-Drac

Misc

Last edited:
Battery rest

Breakthroughs

Water battery?

Hydrogen storage solution?

I haven't Seen it here so i just mention it. In germany/netherland there is the idea to melt iron as battery. The idea is to burn iron powder (energy release) to then take hydrogen and the iron oxide to reduced it into Iron powder again (energy storage).
The thing is this is only interresting for green energy production and storage.

Attachments

• RWE_TU-Eindhoven_20190510_DE.jpg
    RWE_TU-Eindhoven_20190510_DE.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Battery tech

infrastructure

Last edited:
More battery tech

Hmm, publiusr do you know of any resources that categorize battery tech in technological readiness level? It is too easy to get lost in the details while missing big trends coming up.

Performance is 5 times that of lithium-ion batteries...JAXA develops cylindrical battery for space use to be installed in "H3"
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Nagoya University, and NU-Rei (Higashi-ku, Nagoya, President: Yoshihiro Nakai) have jointly developed a cylindrical battery for space use that has approximately five times the performance of conventional lithium-ion batteries (LiB). developed. By using nanographene, a sheet-like material made from carbon atoms, they were able to achieve weight and cost reductions. It will be tested on JAXA's sounding rocket in 2026, and will be adopted for use in large-scale flagship rockets such as the H3. Civilian applications such as electric vehicles (EVs) will also be considered.

Hmm, publiusr do you know of any resources that categorize battery tech in technological readiness level? It is too easy to get lost in the details while missing big trends coming up.
Well beyond my paygrade.

There are a lot of researchers who specialize in one line of research to a fault---they don't have time to pour over the trades themselves, so coming here, say--once a week...they could find some info that may help them.

The latest