Official wind tunnel test model of the G-8:

o0700036014784623423.jpg

o1549082814784623491.jpg

I'm working on the Nagato Carrier Conversion proposal and I could put 52 aircraft in her Hanger (40 + 4 spares of each type) though it would be quite crowded but if Shinano type deck parking was taken into account the 54 aircraft capacity could be easily reached. I've yet to find Japanese sources about this conversion.
Here is the Work in Progress drawing:

Attachments

• A-114 Nagato Carrier.png
    A-114 Nagato Carrier.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 313
I have these images. The color image as usual I don't remember where I found it. The blueprint was get in the older Warshipprojects page.
Julio
The frist image is most interest. it´s supose a angled fligh deck. I enjoy if you have more images about it
Its artist own bias/interpretations since Japanese never adopt angled flight deck nor side elevator, i see quite amount like angled flight deck Taihou, Kaga, Akagi on Japanese websites.

I have these images. The color image as usual I don't remember where I found it. The blueprint was get in the older Warshipprojects page.
Julio
The frist image is most interest. it´s supose a angled fligh deck. I enjoy if you have more images about it

Artist impression, hypothetical (not real) design/drawing
Here is the original:

Julio

Artist impression, hypothetical (not real) design/drawing
Here is the original:
Thanks.
Nice never rebilt hybrid BB

For the Nagato using the 1st and 4th barbettes as Elevator pits I've created one main hanger area with the centre somewhat separated by the funnel uptakes and there are some space around the elevators for miscellaneous storage of wings, fuselage or for small vehicles.
But If I use the 2nd and 3rd Barbettes as Elevator pits, being the hull wider there I reduce the main hanger length considerably but could add 2 small hanger areas at the ends in front and aft of the elevators as well as sightly smaller sized hangers on the same space below them.

I'm working on the Nagato Carrier Conversion proposal and I could put 52 aircraft in her Hanger (40 + 4 spares of each type) though it would be quite crowded but if Shinano type deck parking was taken into account the 54 aircraft capacity could be easily reached. I've yet to find Japanese sources about this conversion.
I remember that this type of conversion of Carrier was proposed for many battleship classes

I remember that this type of conversion of Carrier was proposed for many battleship classes

Yes for the 4 Kongos, 2 Fusos, 2 Ises and the 2 Nagatos
together with
the 4 Myokos, 4 Takaos, 3 Mogamis and 2 Tones.

Tzoli, Hiraga archive mentioned that Akagi and Kaga have proposal to equip them with dual 14cm casemate gun in place for 20cm (up to 24! of them), do you plan to draw these variants at some point?

Tzoli, Hiraga archive mentioned that Akagi and Kaga have proposal to equip them with dual 14cm casemate gun in place for 20cm (up to 24! of them), do you plan to draw these variants at some point?
Where did you read that?

together with
I'm interested to know about ship conversion except that... may I know where you read it?? thank you...

together with
I'm interested to know about ship conversion except that... may I know where you read it?? thank you...

Eric Lacroix - Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War. Relevant pages attached

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 106
  • unknown-3.png
    unknown-3.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 79
  • unknown-2.png
    unknown-2.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 123
Oh preliminary, not proposal, got it and i figured the secondaries placement but thanks.

Here is the finished Nagato in Carrier form. I'm not sure which deck variant I should choose.
The common wood plank, the armoured looking metal or the Shinano like dark Linoleum one:
Nice rebuilt
Hiyo class style, but bigger

Well I indeed started with the bridge of the Junyo, but as the drawings I had were inconsistent with the deck and platform layouts of it so I eventually chosen Shinano's bridge which I've already drawn and reduced it's size accordingly, but taken some ideas from Junyo eg the two masts for example

Is there any more information regarding Kongo class conversion to CV? I know the flight deck was supposed to be 220m long and they were supposed to carry 54 aircraft, not clear if operational or including spares.

The reason i'm asking is because i was thinking what if they would have converted Hiei into a CV before the war instead of rebuilding it as a fast BB, and would like to know if it would be able to carry a standard fleet CV airgroup of 18 A6M, 18 D3A and 18 B5N (similar to say Soryu).

In 1942/44 would look like my Nagato CV drawing but on a longer hull and more prominent sponsoons as the hull was thinner.
Before ww2 something like a one deck high Akagi or Kaga as modernized but likely with Shokaku style bridge

What you think about how many aircraft would a Kongo CV carry, would 54 aircraft fit like in your Nagato CV conversion proposal? And how many aircraft you think could they add if adopting the Shinano type deck park for both the Nagato CV and Kongo CV? Thank you.

Last edited:
Around 45-60 planes depending on storage (Hanger only or Hanger+Flight Deck)

That carrier based version of the Kawanishi E 15K Shiun is new to me. Are there more data about it ?

I did not know such project existed. A land/carrier based Shiun

Great find, thank you Tzoli.

What are the specs of Oyodo in that configuration?

That land-based Shiun is nifty, and imo again goes to show the design resource waste in Japan in those years, to me it looks like a perfectly acceptable torpedo-bomber (carrying a torpedo instead of the big central float).

Design Number: W-105 from 1938
Dimensions: 180 (pp) x 189,7 (wl) x 192,1 (oa) x 25 x 5,95 meters
Displacement: 16.600tons (standard)
Engines: 110.000shp Kampon Steam Turbines, 4 shafts
Range: 19.600km
Speed: 63km/h (34knots)
Armour: 50mm Deck, 50mm Belt
Armaments:
2x3 15,2cm/60 Type 90 Guns,
4x2 10cm/65 Type 98 AA Guns,
6x2 25mm/60 Type 96 AA Guns
20x Aircraft, stated to be E15K Shiun

That carrier based version of the Kawanishi E 15K Shiun is new to me. Are there more data about it ?
Yes , with ocr tools i have copied and pasted on Google Translate : it was proposed landed version of Shiun for Oyodo like cruiser-carrier.