Navy Seeks Rail Guns, Lasers, Cruise Missiles To Improve Pacific Firepower

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
From that article, "...a prototype of the Army's XM1299 tracked self-propelled 155mm howitzer shot down a BQM-167 target drone standing in for a subsonic cruise missile using an HVP".

A government defence representative no less say's, "Just for the record, [a] tank shooting down cruise missiles. That’s just awesome," Will Roper, then the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, said after that test, referring to the self-propelled howitzer's successful intercept of the BQM-167".

Just where do they get people like that in positions of influence? I know reporters have less attention span than a Goldfish and have no tolerance for them either but for an assistant secretary for a defence department.......

TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From that article, "...a prototype of the Army's XM1299 tracked self-propelled 155mm howitzer shot down a BQM-167 target drone standing in for a subsonic cruise missile using an HVP".

A government defence representative no less say's, "Just for the record, [a] tank shooting down cruise missiles. That’s just awesome," Will Roper, then the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, said after that test, referring to the self-propelled howitzer's successful intercept of the BQM-167".

Just where do they get people like that in positions of influence? I know reporters have less attention span than a Goldfish and have no tolerance for them either but for an assistant secretary for a defence department.......

Air Force. They don't care what all those ground crawly things are as long as they get to play with the flying toys instead.

More seriously, Roper seems to be a serious person, but his expertise is on missiles and space (specifically BMD). I don't think it matters for his (former) job if he knows a tank from an SP howitzer.

Last edited: