135mm Gun on Giuseppe Garibaldi

red admiral

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Along similar lines,

Does anyone have details of the 135/45 guns used on RN Guiseppe Garibaldi when she was reconstructed into a guided missile cruiser post-war? Jane's says that they were a new design, both automatic and dual purpose. The turrets definitely don't look like the WWII versions.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

red admiral said:
Along similar lines,

Does anyone have details of the 135/45 guns used on RN Guiseppe Garibaldi when she was reconstructed into a guided missile cruiser post-war? Jane's says that they were a new design, both automatic and dual purpose. The turrets definitely don't look like the WWII versions.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNIT_53-45_m1938.htm

Cheers, but the guns used on Garibaldi were of a different design, but same calibre.

red admiral said:
Cheers, but the guns used on Garibaldi were of a different design, but same calibre.

According to Conway's, the 1968 mountings were actually 135mm/53. No other info?

I put this on the Warship Projects site, but it may as well go here too:
From Gli Incrociatori Italiani Georgerini and Nani
Garibaldi, reconstructed with Terrier SAMs, had:
Four (two twins) semiautomatic cannon 135/45 (replaced 1968 with 135/53, of which the charateristics (I assume the L53 version) were 25rpm (not the 80 suggested in Conway) range 22000 metres, projectile weight 33.55kg, muzzle velocity 870m/s I hope I have the translation OK, but it then says "potevano sparare complessivamente 80 proiettili ogni minuto" which stretches my Italian a bit without a dictionary, but I think means 80rpm in total ( a twin mount semiauto not firing both guns at quite the rate of two singles) No data on elevation, training rates etc.
There is a picture of the ship, but the gun turrets are not at all clear. The drawing of the ship shows a turret not unlike Tiger's 6", but with a slightly steeper slope up from the guns, and a flat roof over the rear half.
G&N also give for the 76/62 also mounted: 65rpm, range 16000m; 6kg projectiles muzzle vel 925m/s

Thanks for the pics. the first is clearer than the book re turrets. I see what you mean about close. The book has side view only.
Your second link produced error 404, I regret.