• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

NASA Selects Four Possible Missions to Study the Secrets of the Solar System

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
NASA has selected four Discovery Program investigations to develop concept studies for new missions. Although they’re not official missions yet and some ultimately may not be chosen to move forward, the selections focus on compelling targets and science that are not covered by NASA’s active missions or recent selections. Final selections will be made next year.

NASA’s Discovery Program invites scientists and engineers to assemble a team to design exciting planetary science missions that deepen what we know about the solar system and our place in it. These missions will provide frequent flight opportunities for focused planetary science investigations. The goal of the program is to address pressing questions in planetary science and increase our understanding of our solar system.

Deltafan

Reaction score
I hope they will favor Io. Triton in second place and the two missions on Venus in third ...

jeffb

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I hope they will favor Io. Triton in second place and the two missions on Venus in third ...
Poor old Venus no one it seems is ever keen on missions there.
Except for the Russians of course. And I think I read somewhere recently that they're planning a new set of Venus missions in the next decade.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Except for the Russians of course. And I think I read somewhere recently that they're planning a new set of Venus missions in the next decade.
I think there might be one mission which is co-operative one with ESA. But don’t quote me on that.

Deltafan

Reaction score
My opinion is very selfish : I hope that we will find a trace of extraterrestrial life in my lifetime.
And I think there is more luck on Io or Triton than on Venus ...

blackstar

Reaction score
My opinion is very selfish : I hope that we will find a trace of extraterrestrial life in my lifetime.
And I think there is more luck on Io or Triton than on Venus ...
You might want to take a second look at Io.

edwest

Reaction score
The secrets of how planets form and surface features? How about let's send a crew of four to Mars? Oh, I forgot. It's impossible. Just send landers.

Hobbes

Reaction score
That's not what this mission class (Discovery) is for. NASA runs multiple programs in parallel, you know.