NAA SM-64 Navaho ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Krila 6/1956,

I know most of NAA SM-64 Navaho shapes,but what was this ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    209 KB · Views: 166
  • wnavaco1.jpg
    wnavaco1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 173

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The first picture’s carrier resembles the upper stages of Von Braun’s early 3-stage shuttle (of “Conquest of Space” fame).

Beyond that, I cannot say much.

RanulfC

Reaction score
From Krila 6/1956,

I know most of NAA SM-64 Navaho shapes,but what was this ?.

Looks to be the "NAVAHO III 1949" listed in the illustration to the right. If you blow up the one to the left it's two vehicles with both having canards and aft lifting wings, the upper body looks to have a 'ramjet' spike nose while the forward canards are 'straight' and the aft wings trapizodal in most other details they seem similar enough to be the same concept. The wings and canards on the 'booster' appear to be much larger than needed but in general seem to be similar to the Navaho III concept.
(Though the presence of what appears to be "windows" in the 'booster' unit is odd)

Randy

JimK

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I think you might be right in identifying it as Navaho III. It looks like a wind-tunnel model to investigate the longitudinal placement of the missile on the booster. What appear to be portholes may be the screw locations attaching the wing and canard to the fuselages.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
You know I've seen the drawing that was listed as the Navajo G-38 here. Was this the design they ultimately intended, or merely one of many designs conceptualized?