NAA Mars Exploration Module

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
back in 1967 NAA made study NAS9-6464 for MEM for NASA
They look into Lifting Body and Capsule shaped lander. last what was recommended

Total mass of 64000 kg for 4 man 30 day stay on Mars
The descent stage weight is 29207 kg with 13834 kg fuel
The ascent stage weight is 16874 kg with 9480 kg fuel
With 2040 kg scientific payload down, 136 kg payload (soil samples) up.
Power supply by fuel cells.

as fuel NAA prosed FLOX/CH4 or FLOX/MMH because LOX/LH2 can not achieve the ascent speed
for rocket engine NAA favored for plug nozzles
RCS system NAA want to use toxic ClF5/MHF-5 fuel !

Got someone more picture on this design ?

Source:
Definition of Experimental Test for a Manned Mars Excursion Module
Final Report Volume IV, November 1967
North American Rockwell Corporation
SD 67-755-4
NAS9-6464

Attachments

• NAA_MEM_001.png
    NAA_MEM_001.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 645
  • NAA_MEM_002.png
    NAA_MEM_002.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 636
Michel Van said:
Got someone more picture on this design ?

Go to NTRS and dig around the late 1960s human Mars mission documents. There's quite a bit there.

I always loved this design since I first saw it, and it has been used in several different proposals and various artwork.

However, it's probably not workable. You can look up Bobby Braun's paper on Mars entry, descent and landing from around five years ago (I think his co-author was Manning). He demonstrated that existing Mars EDL designs were insufficient above about one ton. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity, which is currently on its way to Mars, is about the maximum size payload we can land on Mars without developing entirely new technology. That might include hypersonic deceleration rockets and/or large, lightweight reentry shields.

Simply put, something shaped like this landing craft would not slow down sufficiently before it slammed into the surface of Mars.

blackstar said:
Go to NTRS and dig around the late 1960s human Mars mission documents. There's quite a bit there.
from ze zillion MEM proposals in NTRS, is only ONE file about NAA MEM !

blackstar said:
I always loved this design since I first saw it, and it has been used in several different proposals and various artwork.
it became Iconicity symbol in 1970 to 1980 for manned mars landing, they even still proposed in 1980s as Lander !
it even end up in comics and movies ! (like germany TV movie "Operation Ganymed" form 1977)

blackstar said:
However, it's probably not workable. You can look up Bobby Braun's paper on Mars entry, descent and landing from around five years ago (I think his co-author was Manning). He demonstrated that existing Mars EDL designs were insufficient above about one ton. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity, which is currently on its way to Mars, is about the maximum size payload we can land on Mars without developing entirely new technology. That might include hypersonic deceleration rockets and/or large, lightweight reentry shields.

Simply put, something shaped like this landing craft would not slow down sufficiently before it slammed into the surface of Mars.
yes, your right. this MEM need more fuel for landing or much bigger inflatable heatshield

The title of the paper is:

"Mars Exploration Entry, Descent and Landing Challenges"

by Robert Braun and Robert Manning. You can enter that in Google and easily find a pdf. It's an easy read.

Thx for PDF Blackstar

the NAA MEM was so popular that even 17 year later in 1985
the Marshall Flight Center overwork the NAA Design
they replace the proposed FLOX/CH4 Fuel and Plug in engine, by conventional hardware and fuels

Source
The Dream Machines, By Ron Miller - ISBN 0-89464-039-9
page 530

Just found these picture in this PDF

Propellant Selection for Spacecraft Propulsion Systems,
Volume II: Mission and vehicles
Contract NASW-1644
Lockheed, 30 August 1968

Attachments

• NAA_MEM_003.png
    NAA_MEM_003.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 949
  • NAA_MEM_004.png
    NAA_MEM_004.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 953
  • NAA_MEM_005.png
    NAA_MEM_005.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 299
  • NAA_MEM_006.png
    NAA_MEM_006.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 102
Michel Van said:
they replace the proposed FLOX/CH4 Fuel and Plug in engine, by conventional hardware and fuels

I cannot believe that they were originally proposing carrying FLOX all the way to Mars!

That stuff is nasty even in the best circumstances. Would you really want to rely on it staying contained during the trip to Mars? It's just scary stuff.

blackstar said:
I cannot believe that they were originally proposing carrying FLOX all the way to Mars!

That stuff is nasty even in the best circumstances. Would you really want to rely on it staying contained during the trip to Mars? It's just scary stuff.

the Fluorine would create a protective layer on inside of oxidizer tank, therefore consider as long storage fuel.
there only concerned was that FLOX (Fluorine oxygen mixture) would separate and the Engine would suck pure Fluorine.
alternative they look to used Oxygen difluoride
The Picture MEM_005 and 006 show the tanks for this fuels combination

So the Picture MEM_003&004 show a the Lh2/LOX version ?

Michel Van said:
the Fluorine would create a protective layer on inside of oxidizer tank, therefore consider as long storage fuel.

40 years later and nobody has ever done that. Fluorine just isn't nice stuff to work with. It's way too dangerous, which is why nobody uses it even for robotic spacecraft.