Mystery Airliner on eBay

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This model sold recently on eBay. It is a metal travel agency model, made in the late 1950s by Osgaard or Raise-Up in the Netherlands, both established model makers. I have never seen this design before. Is this an actual project, or a fantasy airliner, perhaps for a movie set? It appears to be an advanced Lockheed Electra, much like the DC-7D development of the Seven Seas.

Enquiring minds want to know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120626223544

Attachments

• Airliner.png
    Airliner.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 94
It looks like it has gold outline of the Eastern Air Lines Inc "Golden Falcon" logo on the tail-fin......

Terry (Caravellarella)

My guess is a late version of the DC-7D. The drawings I've seen have a moderately swept tail and a DC-7 nose, but the rest of the model looks the part. The DC-7D failed to find buyers when it became apparent that the market regarded it as obsolete despite all the sensible arguments in favor of a long-range turboprop. My theory is that the stylish tail and DC-8 nose were cosmetic measures to modernize it's appearance.

well, remember that IL-28 had similar stright wing and swept tail at the same time for a reason, so such combo is not unusual...