My favourite warship

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
It may not necessarily be the best ever warship, but after some consideration of built and unbuilt warships, I choose the Type 12 Leander frigate.
It dominated the Royal Navy line-up for over two decades between the 60s and the 80s. With a capable main gun armament and ASW fit of helicopter and limbo it was only let down by the cheap and cheerful Seacat anti-aircraft system replacing the 40mm gun.
But in a period where the Cold War fortunately never went hot the Leander symbolised the RN operating around the world.

Attachments

• gettyimages-79029654-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-79029654-612x612.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 52
Seacat 2 would have been a great fit with the Leander-class frigates.

I was going to start this thread and then remembered (thanks to the prompt) that I had already done it.
Warships don't seem to have the same following as planes and tanks so I am a bit sad that others have not leapt in with their own faves.
As I wrote recently about the new Trieste LHD, I am a huge fan of the modern Italian Navy.
The 60s missile cruisers with helo decks were so much more elegant and capable than Tiger and Blake
The Audace class missile destroyers bristled with weapons
Garibaldi was a pocket carrier that looked like a carrier

I have to say that the British aircraft carrier HMS Victorious is always up at or at least very near to the top of any list of mine of favourite warships. Following her protracted re-build, she was one of the best looking carriers around!
In fact, 'saddo' that I am, I use a picture of her as my phone wallpaper!!!

Attachments

• Victorious Last Commision 97.jpg
    Victorious Last Commision 97.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 28
For me, there's something about the Type 45 that always appealed to me. To me, it always looked very sleek, modern and maybe even sublime.

Attachments

• HMS Daring.jpg
    HMS Daring.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 13
This may be strange coming from an American. but one of mine is
HMS Warspite.
Warspite is also a ship I hold closely to my heart, partly because of how wonderful she looks, partly because the ship is connected to my home country and partly because of the fact that the ship refused to die, despite taking part in numerous battles and get damaged multiple times.

i have a few in particular that i am fond of. i do not have a favorite so these are in no particular order.
1: HMS Rodney class
images

2:USS Missouri
missouridiagram1992-sca1-1500.jpg

3:Zerstorer Z20 Karl Galster
images

4: USS San Diego
images

and finally 5: USS Brooklyn
images