Multibody aircraft studies

Simon666

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Anyone got more info on this kind of hybrid design?

hybrid-layout-smallSize.jpg

http://fseg.gre.ac.uk/NACRE/details.html

Hi

Here is a study about multibody aircraft projects (with 2 and 3 fuselages)

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024468_1982024468.pdf

I have extracted 3 pages with line drawings and basic specifications form this very long report.

Best

f_t

Attachments

• Pages from NASA_multibody_1.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 37
Great find Ford;

I sent before the pictures number 2 and 3 in this site,no memory to remember
where,but we can put all of them here.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 94
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 95
A somewhat uneducated question, perhaps, but isn't there a structural advantage to join the tails of a twin-fuselage design rather than leave them separate? I would imagine that unjoined tail units would increase the risk of warping. If anyone knows the answer and can explain it in simple terms, I'm really interested to know about it!

Another uneducated question; what kind of airport runway/taxiway infrastructure was proposed to support such designs?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Moore, JW et al., Multibody Aircraft Studies Volume II Appendixes Lockheed-Georgia Company, July 1982

Abstract:
The purpose of this report is to quantify and provide technical substantiation of the potential benefits of a multibody aircraft when compared to a single body aircraft. The analyses consist principally of a detailed point design analysis of
three multibody and one single body aircraft, based on a selected payload of 350,000 kg (771,618 lb), for final aircraft definitions; sensitivity studies to evaluate the effects of variations in payload, wing semispan body locations, and fuel price;recommendations as to the research and technology requirements needed to validate
the multibody concept.

Two, two-body, one, three-body, and one single body aircraft were finalized for the selected payload, with DOC being the prime figure-of-merit. When compared to the single body, the multibody aircraft showed a reduction in DOC by as much as 11.3 percent. Operating weight was reduced up to 14 percent, and fly-away cost reductions ranged from 8.6 to 13.4 percent.

Weight reduction, hence cost, of the multibody aircraft resulted primarily from the wing bending relief afforded by the bodies being located outboard on the wing. Wind tunnel tests and flight simulation are recommended so as to better understand the aerodynamic characteristics in order to assure an acceptable level of risk in the design and development of a large multibody aircraft. For this same reason, further structural investigations are required in such areas as dynamic loads, load alleviation, unsymmetrical loadings, flutter, and material application.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024469_1982024469.pdf

Attachments

• mb04.jpg
    mb04.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 36
  • mb03.jpg
    mb03.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 42
  • mb02.jpg
    mb02.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 46
  • mb01.jpg
    mb01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
From all appearances, a modification of this would allow typical aircraft factory methods to roll out extant fuselage product…with a specialty facility mating them and housing over a new wing box insert?

I am not sure that this config is very efficient aerodynamically. I see it more as a way to reduce footprint for airport access for large capacity aircrafts.