More Congressional complaints about WH space policy

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Committee Democrats Caution Against Start-Stop Approach To NASA's Funding And Goals
by Staff Writers
Washington DC (SPX) Mar 04, 2011

Today, the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology held ahearing to discuss the Administration's FY 2012 budget request for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) with Charles F. Bolden, Administrator of NASA.
This was the Congress's first opportunity to review the President's Fiscal Year 2012 budget request for NASA and arrives at a time of very difficult budgetary issues, with the appropriations for FY 2011 still undecided.

"I can only imagine the challenges you are facing, Mr. Administrator, in trying to plan and carry out the challenging activities that the nation has asked you to undertake when the budgetary sands keep shifting under you" said Ranking Member Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX). Expressing concern about the current budgetary standstill, Congresswoman Johnson said "I hope that we are able to resolve our current appropriations impasse soon, but I also hope that an agreement doesn't come at the expense of the critical investments this nation needs to make to prepare for the future. I consider NASA to be one of those critical investments."

While expressing strong support for the President and admiration for Mr. Bolden's leadership, Congresswoman Johnson said that she was disappointed with the request, especially in light of all the work that Congress undertook last year to forge a constructive path forward for the nation's space program.

"I had thought that the Administration agreed with the compromise that was enacted into law, but I am afraid that I do not see it reflected in the proposed NASA budget request. The request cuts NASA's overall budget plan and its human exploration budget even further than before, delays the development of the next generation vehicles, and eliminates any concrete destinations or milestones beyond the International Space Station.

"That is an unfortunate situation for a number of reasons, but its most damaging impact will be on both our existing highly skilled workforce and on the young people who have been inspired by NASA to dream of careers in science and technology. The start-stop approach to funding and goals that we have seen over the past several years can only cause us to lose the best and brightest of both groups, and they are not going to be easily replaced."

Offering a path forward, Congresswoman Johnson told Administrator Bolden that "the most constructive approach for all of us here is to consider the budget request that you will present today as the beginning of the discussion, not the end. We are going to need you to tell us what you can do with your budget to meet the human spaceflight goals that have been set forth in successive NASA Authorization Acts-not simply tell us what you can't do. And if additional resources are needed to realize those goals, we need to know that too."

Pledging to work with the NASA Administrator and the Chairman of the Committee, Ralph M. Hall, to ensure that NASA continues to instill pride, inspire by pushing back the frontiers of knowledge through exploring and living in space, advance science and engineering, and develop innovative technologies, Congresswoman Johnson urged the Nation and NASA not to rest on its past laurels. She said "Sustained investments in research, technology, and development must be made. Without this sustained investment in the years ahead, NASA will be hard-pressed to foster innovation needed to inspire our younger generations to pursue scientific and technical careers. That would be a shame."

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Committee_Democrats_Caution_Against_Start_Stop_Approach_To_NASA_Funding_And_Goals_999.html

This isn't going to help matters one bit:

Russia to postpone next manned space launches
by Staff Writers
Moscow (AFP) Jan 27, 2012

Russia is set to pospone the next two manned launches for the International Space Station (ISS) for several weeks due to technical problems with the Soyuz spaceship, an industry source told Interfax Friday.

The source told Interfax that the Soyuz TMA-04M vessel had not withstood tests to its pressure chamber ahead of the planned mission on March 30 and the first flight would be postponed to mid-April or the first half of May.

"This re-entry capsule now cannot be used for manned spaceflight," the source said.

That mission would fly with the re-entry capsule that was due to go up on the next mission on May 30 and as a result that mission would also likely be postponed to the middle or end of June.

The re-entry capsule goes inside the spacecraft and is the portion that eventually returns the astronauts to Earth when the mission is over.

Russia now has sole reponsibility for taking US and other international astronauts to the ISS following the withdrawal of the US space shuttle but its own space programme has been hit by a string of problems in the last months.

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Russia_to_postpone_next_manned_space_launches_report_999.html

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/235719-battle-brewing-over-nasa-funding