Modified R Class battleships

SalothSar

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hy everyone and excuse for my bad English. During the "Phoney War", Winston Churchill, at the time First Lord of the Admiralty, promoted the abandoned "Operation Catherine", to control Baltic Sea. The British naval force would have included three "R Class" battleships, modified into "armoured turtles", to resist to air and submarine attacks. The ships were never modified. Does everyons know if it's possible to find the modification plans?
many thanks,

I can see the oversized torpedo / mine bulges, and I *think* I can see a hornet's nest of AAA positions, but what am I missing ??

Was the top-armour just 'appliqué' on the turrets ??

The idea was to add 4-5in of deck armor across the whole ship. This would have easily defeated any bomb in the German inventory at the time as the Germans didn’t field heavy anti ship bombs until a couple years into the war. Course thick deck armor doesn't really help when the six hundred somthing Stukas the Germans have pepper you with dozens of 500kg HE bombs but Churchill had these concepts drawn up at a time when people still thought a single anti aircraft gun could deter a squadron sized attack