Mitsubishi K7M ("11-Shi Crew Trainer") (Ka-18)

windswords

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The K7M was developed as a replacement for the navy's K3M (allied code name Pine) as a crew trainer.

It was powered by 2 two 340hp radial engines and had a capacity of 5 students and 2 instructors. The navy decided the twin-engined plane was too costly to replace the single-engined K3M. Two prototypes were built.

Attachments

• K7M1 experimental trainer to replace the K3M.jpg
    K7M1 experimental trainer to replace the K3M.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 393
  • K7M1.jpg
    K7M1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 377
  • K7M1 3 view.gif
    K7M1 3 view.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 389
More K7M1:

Attachments

• 111109_02.jpg
    111109_02.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 368
  • K7M1 11-Shi Trainer.png
    K7M1 11-Shi Trainer.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 375
  • K7M1 photo.jpg
    K7M1 photo.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 101
  • 111109_01.jpg
    111109_01.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 68
It appears that the two prototypes did enter service as trainers with the designation K7M1 which is how Stargazer labeled his images.The general layout is similar to the Kokusai Ki-59 transport plane.

windswords said:
Nice pics Stargazer. Do you know what the title of the book is?

Well the google translation says: "Sakakibara Taito" binding, published in 1941.
I found the images on this page:

http://www.tyg-archives.jp/topics/2011/11/111109.php

Amazing! I can't find this book. :eek:
Perhaps reading of 榊原帯刀 is "Sakakibara Tatewaki".
"Tatewaki Sakakibara" (1906~1937) is the Imperial Japanese Army lieutenant general's "Sakakibara Shozo"'s second son.
Moreover, he is a husband of "Fusa" who is the eldest daughter of the Toyo Gakuen founder "Hisashi Uda".
Moreover, he is a real father of "Masanaga Uda" who is the 5th generation chairman of the board of directors of "Toyo Gakuen" which is an educational foundation.
He graduated from the third high school and the department of the Tokyo Imperial University faculty-of-technology aeronautics, and studied in France as a 1st Japan-France exchange student.
He is the airplane designer who worked in the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Nagoya, Inc. factory design division after studying abroad.
The airplanes engaged in the design are "Hinazuru-go" light transport (modified domestic production of English air speed "Envoy"), and a navy 11-shi crew trainer (K7M1).
It died in the performance test flight of "Hinazuru" experimental model at "Kagamigahara" airfield.

Attachments

• Hinazuru-go.jpg
    Hinazuru-go.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 67
  • airspeed_envoy_3v.jpg
    airspeed_envoy_3v.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
blackkite said:
The airplanes engaged in the design are "Hinazuru-go" light transport (modified domestic production of English air speed "Envoy"), and a navy 11-shi crew trainer (K7M1).

I'm not sure I ever saw the Hinazuru-go before. Thanks a lot for this! Do you know what company manufactured it?

Stargazer2006 said:
blackkite said:

I'm not sure I ever saw the Hinazuru-go before. Thanks a lot for this! Do you know what company manufactured it?
Of course Mitsubishi.(三菱)
Perhaps Hinazuru(雛鶴) means the child of a crane.
http://www42.tok2.com/home/avionroad/newcomers.html

Attachments

• Hinazuru pic1.jpg
    Hinazuru pic1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Hinazuru pic2.jpg
    Hinazuru pic2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Hinazuru pic3.jpg
    Hinazuru pic3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Hinazuru pic4.jpg
    Hinazuru pic4.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Hinazuru.jpg
    Hinazuru.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Hinazuru picture.jpg
    Hinazuru picture.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 75
Thanks blackkite. Now that I've seen more pics, I think I do have a couple in my Mitsubishi folder, but this definitely clarifies the fact it's not just a copy of the Envoy but an actual licensed version.

It's amazing the things you learn here!

I was wondering if it was unusual for an aircraft of the 1930's, especially a trainer like the K7M to have 4 bladed propellers. I know some WW1 bombers had 4 bladed props (due to heavy lifting requirements?) but I didn't think that other aircraft had them until the 1940's.

windswords said:
It's amazing the things you learn here!

You bet! ;D

Another interesting element of the K7M is the fact that the thrust line of its engines was not parallel to the fuselage centerline, but slightly slanted outward. The three-view arrangement shows it very well.

Stargazer2006 said:
Another interesting element of the K7M is the fact that the thrust line of its engines was not parallel to the fuselage centerline, but slightly slanted outward. The three-view arrangement shows it very well.

Like the G3M Nell...

windswords said:
Stargazer2006 said:

Like the G3M Nell...

Never struck me before... But now that you mentioned it, I went to check on it and realize that a vast majority of the profile views previously published depict the engines as totally parallel to the fuselage (despite the fact that the top view does show a slant).

I was comparing the GA drawing of the Envoy to the GA of the Hinazuru-go and I noticed three changes that Mitsubishi seem to have made to the original Envoy design:

Engines canted outwards (like the aforementioned K7M)
Fixed main undercarriage
Revised shape of horizontal tailplane

Back
Top Bottom