• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Mitsubishi K7M ("11-Shi Crew Trainer") (Ka-18)

windswords

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The K7M was developed as a replacement for the navy's K3M (allied code name Pine) as a crew trainer.

It was powered by 2 two 340hp radial engines and had a capacity of 5 students and 2 instructors. The navy decided the twin-engined plane was too costly to replace the single-engined K3M. Two prototypes were built.

Attachments

windswords

Reaction score
Nice pics Stargazer. Do you know what the title of the book is?

windswords

Reaction score
It appears that the two prototypes did enter service as trainers with the designation K7M1 which is how Stargazer labeled his images.The general layout is similar to the Kokusai Ki-59 transport plane.

theponja

Reaction score
windswords said:
Nice pics Stargazer. Do you know what the title of the book is?
Well the google translation says: "Sakakibara Taito" binding, published in 1941.
I found the images on this page:

http://www.tyg-archives.jp/topics/2011/11/111109.php

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Amazing! I can't find this book. :eek:
Perhaps reading of 榊原帯刀 is "Sakakibara Tatewaki".
"Tatewaki Sakakibara" (1906~1937) is the Imperial Japanese Army lieutenant general's "Sakakibara Shozo"'s second son.
Moreover, he is a husband of "Fusa" who is the eldest daughter of the Toyo Gakuen founder "Hisashi Uda".
Moreover, he is a real father of "Masanaga Uda" who is the 5th generation chairman of the board of directors of "Toyo Gakuen" which is an educational foundation.
He graduated from the third high school and the department of the Tokyo Imperial University faculty-of-technology aeronautics, and studied in France as a 1st Japan-France exchange student.
He is the airplane designer who worked in the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Nagoya, Inc. factory design division after studying abroad.
The airplanes engaged in the design are "Hinazuru-go" light transport (modified domestic production of English air speed "Envoy"), and a navy 11-shi crew trainer (K7M1).
It died in the performance test flight of "Hinazuru" experimental model at "Kagamigahara" airfield.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
blackkite said:
The airplanes engaged in the design are "Hinazuru-go" light transport (modified domestic production of English air speed "Envoy"), and a navy 11-shi crew trainer (K7M1).
I'm not sure I ever saw the Hinazuru-go before. Thanks a lot for this! Do you know what company manufactured it?

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
blackkite said:
I'm not sure I ever saw the Hinazuru-go before. Thanks a lot for this! Do you know what company manufactured it?
Of course Mitsubishi.(三菱)
Perhaps Hinazuru(雛鶴) means the child of a crane.
http://www42.tok2.com/home/avionroad/newcomers.html

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks blackkite. Now that I've seen more pics, I think I do have a couple in my Mitsubishi folder, but this definitely clarifies the fact it's not just a copy of the Envoy but an actual licensed version.

windswords

Reaction score
It's amazing the things you learn here!

I was wondering if it was unusual for an aircraft of the 1930's, especially a trainer like the K7M to have 4 bladed propellers. I know some WW1 bombers had 4 bladed props (due to heavy lifting requirements?) but I didn't think that other aircraft had them until the 1940's.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
windswords said:
It's amazing the things you learn here!
You bet! ;D

Another interesting element of the K7M is the fact that the thrust line of its engines was not parallel to the fuselage centerline, but slightly slanted outward. The three-view arrangement shows it very well.

windswords

Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
Another interesting element of the K7M is the fact that the thrust line of its engines was not parallel to the fuselage centerline, but slightly slanted outward. The three-view arrangement shows it very well.
Like the G3M Nell...

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
windswords said:
Stargazer2006 said:
Like the G3M Nell...
Never struck me before... But now that you mentioned it, I went to check on it and realize that a vast majority of the profile views previously published depict the engines as totally parallel to the fuselage (despite the fact that the top view does show a slant).

VictorXL188

Former Aviation journalist/writer
Reaction score
I was comparing the GA drawing of the Envoy to the GA of the Hinazuru-go and I noticed three changes that Mitsubishi seem to have made to the original Envoy design:

Engines canted outwards (like the aforementioned K7M)
Fixed main undercarriage
Revised shape of horizontal tailplane